The Thread About Intros (to this and other podcasts)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:27 am

normsherman wrote:Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a hell of a story comment. Tweedy's right up there with the best of the Steve Eley intro's. I have to joke about Giant Water Bugs to fill time because I'll never come up with insights like that.
*Off subject!!!!*
Unfortunately, I've gotten really tired of Mr. Eley's wanderings. He seems to be a person searching for meaning in his life. Norm, on the other hand, seems plenty comfortable with his own skin, and actively points out how silly the human condition is, and get over it and have fun. :-)

normsherman wrote:About the story- I really really liked Eugie Foster's "The Snow Woman's Daughter" that Escapepod ran a while back so I actually solicited her for a story and was really taken by this one.
Interesting combination. I detested "The Snow Woman's Daughter", for many of the same reasons people didn't like this story. However, I enjoyed this story and thought it was a nice break. The fact that you qualified this as not your average Drabblecast, in my mind made it just fine.

Interesting, how you need to warn us that a story will be "normal". I can just hear Steve Eley's voice:

"Warning! This story is not suitable for most Drabblecast listeners, due to lack of bodily functions, killer pumpkins, or enlightening concepts about the human condition."
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm

*Off subject!!!!*
Unfortunately, I've gotten really tired of Mr. Eley's wanderings. He seems to be a person searching for meaning in his life. Norm, on the other hand, seems plenty comfortable with his own skin, and actively points out how silly the human condition is, and get over it and have fun.
*Still off subject!!!!*
Maybe this belongs in the Podcasts section instead, but I'm just glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't need every episode of Escape Pod to be connected to Steve Eley's life in some way, with some Very Profound Insight. It seldom adds anything to the story for me, and sometimes cheeses me out before the story even starts. I like Norm's intros and outros: short, amusing, and very much in character for the drabblecast. (Though I guess Eley's intros are in character for him...)
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:09 am

AynSavoy wrote:
*Still off subject!!!!*
Maybe this belongs in the Podcasts section instead, but I'm just glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't need every episode of Escape Pod to be connected to Steve Eley's life in some way, with some Very Profound Insight. It seldom adds anything to the story for me, and sometimes cheeses me out before the story even starts. I like Norm's intros and outros: short, amusing, and very much in character for the drabblecast. (Though I guess Eley's intros are in character for him...)
I don't mind the EP intros, so long as they're not too long --- I'm rarely able to conveniently listen to a podcast longer than 30 minutes in one sitting, and a long intro can leave me feeling a little tetchy. Still, if Steve can find a good profound insight, I don't mind thinking about it.

The problem is trying to come up with one profound insight per week. In my previous role I had to come up with a profound insight every week for our church newsletter. It's not that easy to do without repeating yourself silly. Add to the mix a secretary nagging me for it because she's ten minutes away from hitting the 'Print' button, and Profound Insights can easily become Generic Waffle.

I'm amazed that Steve has been able to come up with something more or less fresh every week.

jodymonster

Post by jodymonster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:00 pm

still totally off topic, but....
I like Steve's intros+ outros. I think I identify with Steve because I don't really have myself figured out yet, and it's nice to hear someone in the same boat who is nonetheless doing something creative and productive that brings me joy every week. I the geek dad stories make me smile, and when I heard the "worst day of my life" comment I was honestly worried for him. I've been listening to EP for so long it really does feel like an update from a friend.

Norm, on the other hand, is like that guy in high school who had himself figured out a little earlier than the rest of us, so he just radiates coolness. He doesn't have to try, he just does. Norm's intros usually make me laugh out loud, and sometimes makes me twist my hands around the steering wheel screaming, "EEEEWWWW! oh my god that's disgusting!" which, admittedly, is a more visceral reaction than I ever got from Steve. I actually find Norm's voice soothing, though it would be more so if not for the subject matter.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Well, since we're now off-topic (anyone feel free to get back ON).

I think a big difference between Norm intros and Steve intros is that Norm is the host of the Drabblecast while Steve is Escape Pod's editor. Norm's humor and performance are a huge part of what makes DC DC. We listen to hear Norm surprise us by pulling unexpected source materials together in a unique nugget of Drabbley goodness. In contrast, you can pretty much enjoy EP without knowing or caring who Steve Eley is. DC intros are integral to the show. EP intros are bonus content.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:45 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Well, since we're now off-topic (anyone feel free to get back ON).

I think a big difference between Norm intros and Steve intros is that Norm is the host of the Drabblecast while Steve is Escape Pod's editor. Norm's humor and performance are a huge part of what makes DC DC. We listen to hear Norm surprise us by pulling unexpected source materials together in a unique nugget of Drabbley goodness. In contrast, you can pretty much enjoy EP without knowing or caring who Steve Eley is. DC intros are integral to the show. EP intros are bonus content.
Well said, and I agree in one sense, but I disagree in another. I'm finding it harder and harder to find good stories in EP, it appears to me to have been drifting more and more to a podcast about Steve Eley, with a story thrown in.

Now mind you, I've donated to EP, I've listened to them since episode 15 or so, and I think he's doing a good thing. But between changes in my life and changes in his, we're growing apart amicably. No hard feelings, I'm just onto other things.

I hope after a number of episodes that PodCastle gets some character and becomes a great outlet.

Tom

P.S. I played "Eggs" for some employees at work today (friday 5pm). One laughed hard. One was grossed out. Another oscillated between the two, with a "what the HELL?" expression on her face. Ah, spread the love baby, spread the love.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 am

I am creeped out that "love baby" is showing up as a phrase I can click on to go to some link.

But, I think I feel much the same way tbaker does, in that I agree with what Mister Tweedy said, but I guess I don't realy care who Steve Eley is. I should probably also disclose that I am not a fan of his narration and his voice kind of grates on me (though I seem to be in a minority here), so that probably doesn't help. I appreciate the thought he puts into his intros, but I don't need them.

And, like tbaker, I'm finding fewer stories on EP these days that really strike me (though I've been listening for a lot less time).

Obviously none of this bothers me enough to stop listening, but it IS the last podcast I check, after Drabblecast and Pseudopod.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:59 am

Hmm...

Well, I feel kind of bad heaping too much criticism on Mr. Eley. After all, he is a pioneer in this medium and he has also given generous plugs to this show. I greatly respect (and yes, admire) the work he's done in his field. I'll also go on record and say that I have found his intros genuinely insightful on enough occasions that I'd need to bust out the toes to count them.

And, of course, I've heard a lot of good stories because of his work that I wouldn't have known existed otherwise. He's added enjoyment my life and also some inspiration. Also, I probably wouldn't have found Drabblecast if I hadn't found EP first.

Personally, I think his reading voice is adequate. It gets the job done and I've never heard him butcher anything. As to story selection, there have been some remarkable bombs, but I think his general editorial skill is above the average I've seen established in other markets.

My opinions.

Of course, having a number of positives going for you doesn't make you immune to criticism.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:15 am

Podcasting, like many, many things in life, can be a truly thankless job. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from EP, and his stories have brought many a smile to my face.

But he's gone in one direction, I've gone in another. Easy 'nuff.

The more this medium grows, the more chance there is to find communities better aligned with your place in life. Right now, I get a huge kick out of DC, and quite enjoy The Hooting Yard, another podcast I heard about on EP.

Keep truckin!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:55 am

Well, I'm a fan of Steve's intros for one. If I don't have time for the whole EP story I usually will play the episode just for the intro. I can see why they wouldn't be for everyone, but then again, there are plenty of people who think mine are pretty sophmoric and could do without them.

Either way, it's true that regardless of if you like an Eley intro you have to agree that the guy is impacting this audio fiction/podcast market (and the scifi genre all together) in a huge way. And yah, his support of this show is a pretty awesome thing in my book.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:38 pm

So Norm, are we going to start seeing intros about how your three testicles affected your life, and lives of people around you? How it's driven some people away, and brought some closer? :D

Tom

P.S. I just realized how ironic that your name is Norm. Like, short for Normal.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Short for e-NORM-ous. :D

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Okay, I can see where this is going (just like the plot of Arc of Hronos), ending with a Bo Kaier illustration.
So I will try diversion. If Norm were to become the head of a religious order, his title would be Ab (for Abba), thus AbNormal.

adam

Post by adam » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:36 am

Norm is short for Norman. and "Norman Sherman" is pretty much the most ridiculous, absurdly stupid name i've ever heard. which makes it suit him as much as the normal irony.
Gnarls Barkley is close though, because silent G's are just downright silly.

as far as the norm sherman vs. steve eley intros goes, it's totally apples and oranges. wholesome apples of insight vs. demonic unholy oranges you get when you unwittingly cast a hex on your orchard. i can't say whether i prefer sincere inspiration over a good laugh, because both are great, and both are equally uncomfortable when the attempted laugh or inspiration fails to the listener. but i'd say EP episodes give as many laughs as DC eps do inspiring thoughts, which is to say they're still present in each, just not the cynosure of the narration. we would be amiss to not appreciate both approaches to a relatively similar genre though. i mean they're both still fruit.

Norm mentioned the occasions where he hasnt had time to listen to the whole EP episode, and i've been in the same spot- which is another notable distinction. being that norm was an EP fan before he started DC, i wonder if he's deliberately set the length of this podcast accordingly. being a little shorter, DC to me is pretty much the perfect length to accommodate a commute or spare window of time. but this can make it more challenging for authors to fully flesh out character development and whatnot in their works- so again there are pros and cons.

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 pm

I have to agree with Adam. Steve and Norm and doing very different things with their intros, but I do enjoy both. Norm's intros are great, half the fun of the show.
mogera robusta