Finding M. Thomas

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
normsherman
Site Admin

Finding M. Thomas

Post by normsherman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

No it's not another annoying movie with a gerund phrase for a title-- it's a mission, a quest, a scavenger hunt, a cyber-stalking contest!

Here's the deal-- might as well be totally transparent here. There's this story I really want to produce in audio for our next Trifecta--
http://strangehorizons.com/2003/2003063 ... roes.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but the author, M. Thomas has literally vanished off the face of the earth and I can't find her in order to make an offer! Busted for selling methamphetamine? Swept up by a young, earnest vampire teenager who wants her to understand that their love is dangerous and forbidden? Abducted by predators because of her combat ability and taken to a game planet to be hunted? Who knows!

I've been cyber-stalking her for weeks and only have a few leads, which anyone can find with some moderate googling chops. This much I will say, I've already asked Strange Horizons, they checked their records and it's a no go, so don't hit them up. They are looking into it further but I thought it'd be fun to open this up and make a contest out of it.

The only rule-- don't contact her yourself! I definitely don't want her swamped with emails from frenzied scavenger hunters. If you do come across contact info (preferably email) PM it to me. The first person to send me a contact that makes a connection is the winner, and will be known throughout Drabbleville as Grand Wunderstalker!
Also, if you don't have a NS CD and DC Tshirt, you get one of each. If you are already equipped with said parafinalia, you win a copy of my limited edition children's CD "The Norm Sherman Sing-a-long Extraveganza."
Frighten your brood or the brood of others with classics such as "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" "Zipadeedooda" and "I Love You, You Love Me"
It's literally the worst prize anyone could ever ask for!

Have at it!
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Re: Finding M. Thomas

Post by dreamrock » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm not so great at stalking, but I put the word out on twitter. While the prizes sound awesome (I'm totally going to leave Norm's children's CD on repeat forever to taunt my enemies with their inferiority if I win), I think the biggest prize is helping Drabblecast out so I kinda gave twitter enough info for anyone to win the prize themselves if they happen to know M. Thomas. :lol:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:57 am

I have a lead!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Norm, where are you at with this? If I pay $14, I can get the DNS info for her old domain, which MAY include contact info.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:03 am

Haha, I'm nowhere! No response from that email after a week. You and moonowl did come across the same one though. I have inconclusive evidence that she lives in Texas though, hmm...
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:21 am

And I assume she isn't Heidi M. Thomas. You would've checked that first.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 am

Ok, I put out two emails to another place she published, and another site she was an editor at. We'll see if either of them know more?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 am

Hee hee Moonowl, you beat me to the punch with Eric Marin. He said he's already forwarded your email onto M. Thomas.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 am

Ooo, looks like it's neck and neck. Eric Marin? Now this is a new name not playing into my current stalk-strategy at all. Eeeenteresting...
"Give us all some Jelly"

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Yup, I got her. I sent the address to Norm.

Eric emailed her my address instead though, so I went against Norm's rule and contacted her accidentally. I am disqualified. :) It doesn't look like she got swamped with emails from us weirdos at any rate.

I hope she sees all this stalking on the forum as flattery. I got to read a lot of good stuff on my search by her and others!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Oh frack! Someone's sending me her email tonight. I lose.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 pm

normsherman wrote:Ooo, looks like it's neck and neck. Eric Marin? Now this is a new name not playing into my current stalk-strategy at all. Eeeenteresting...
Eric Marin published Lone Star Stories. She ran something there in issue #16. http://literary.erictmarin.com/

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Congrats to Moonowl, Grand Wunderstalker!
Turns out M. Thomas was indeed abducted off to a Predator game planet after all. She's half cyborg now, but you should see the Predators.
Thanks moonowl, hope you enjoy the worst prize in contest history (aka the Norm Sherman Sing-Along Extravaganza" children's album.) And especially thanks for helping get this story on DC, I think it'll be a hit. Also thanks to everyone who tried, including tbaker and 5Fiver, who were just a aerosolized pig brain particle behind.
"Give us all some Jelly"

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:17 pm

normsherman wrote:"5Fiver {was} just a aerosolized pig brain particle behind.
Yea, that's going on the ol' resume. Or tombstone. Or both.
Or maybe just a B.A. t-shirt.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:27 pm

normsherman wrote:Congrats to Moonowl, Grand Wunderstalker!
Turns out M. Thomas was indeed abducted off to a Predator game planet after all. She's half cyborg now, but you should see the Predators.
Thanks moonowl, hope you enjoy the worst prize in contest history (aka the Norm Sherman Sing-Along Extravaganza" children's album.) And especially thanks for helping get this story on DC, I think it'll be a hit. Also thanks to everyone who tried, including tbaker and 5Fiver, who were just a aerosolized pig brain particle behind.
Are you saying she got married?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:06 am

I'm saying she's Robocop now.

And now I'm daydreaming about Robocop vs. Predator...
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 am

Ah, Robocop. Another movie that you just have to see on the big-screen to get the full impact. I'm glad everyone encouraged me to go out and see Avatar on the big screen. I'm sure it won't be the same on video either.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 am

Yay! It worked out! I've been wondering with baited breath. :)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:30 am

normsherman wrote:I'm saying she's Robocop now.

Gosh in all of that musing I forgot to give the kudos to Moonowl for her cyber-stalking skillz. <kudos> Moonowl </kudos>

As far as Robocop vs Predator goes, I have to give that match to Robocop. Any guy that can take that many slugs from bad guys, die on the table, and still come back in cyborg form just kicks too much ass. You also have to consider that predator already has one big loss on his record for having his alien arse handed to him by Ahnold.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
normsherman wrote:I'm saying she's Robocop now.

Gosh in all of that musing I forgot to give the kudos to Moonowl for her cyber-stalking skillz. <kudos> Moonowl </kudos>

As far as Robocop vs Predator goes, I have to give that match to Robocop. Any guy that can take that many slugs from bad guys, die on the table, and still come back in cyborg form just kicks too much ass. You also have to consider that predator already has one big loss on his record for having his alien arse handed to him by Ahnold.

I see your point. But only because I force myself to do that if I disagree with someone worthy of consideration. But still, gotta say, I totally disagree.

Robocop is humpty dumpty. He needs geeks to put him back together again.
Predator has a kit with him at all times that pulls back all his HP. We don't understand the science, it seems implausible yes, but what we do know is that he injects himself and the green blood stops dripping and he's good to go again bitchez.

Predator lost to Ahnold in this case because that Predator was deeply rooted in the hunter-honor code. He went visible and fought with fists when he could have at least used wrist blades.

And Robocop, well, he's tied to his own programmed honor system too-- that of the Detroit state police code. And that's some insane beuaracracy my friend. Ahnold plays by his own rules. Uses mud to mask body heat, poses as a female body double to get through Mars security. Ahnold would have taken out Robocop in the exact same rainforest scenario I bet.

But Predator vs. Robocop, anytime anywhere goes to to Predator. Pure hand to hand combat would be close, but it'd never get there.
"Give us all some Jelly"