Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
swamp

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by swamp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 am

Cdugger, while I must remark that Dribblecast really doesn't have standard for "good enogh to post", you did a great job on the stories, especially "Becoming a Man".

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 am

Sounds great, man. :D I did a couple of minor minor tweaks and added two seconds pause between the end of the story and the outro, but the quality was phenomenal and your reading was really great. I especially loved the accent you used for Bubba on Becoming A Man.

The volume tweaks are just to keep the levels in line with most podcasts and the pause makes it clearer that the story is over.

For anyone wondering, I'm using the same standard that Wolfshade mentioned. -3db to -6db for vocals. I usually hang about in the -3 to -4, and occasionally sneak into the -2.

EDIT: Probably not the greatest place to announce this, but I have a job interview tomorrow and my prospects are good. :D
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:41 pm

dreamrock wrote: EDIT: Probably not the greatest place to announce this, but I have a job interview tomorrow and my prospects are good. :D
Good luck with that. If you feel intimidated just imagine yourself naked, or something.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 pm

...And? It's tomorrow!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Cdugger, great job!

Did Becoming a Man get edited since I first read it? I didn't recognize all the bits.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:12 pm

The interview went really well. Luckily I didn't see any of the advice proffered. :lol:

It seems to be the thing these days where it doesn't matter what the position is or how well you interviewed, or even that the person who interviewed you has worked with you before and knows you can do the job ... it's impossible to get a job without doing multiple interviews. I didn't think I was going to get an answer today, but I'm a little daunted by the level and scope of the various interviews that will apparently be necessary.

Eris give me muffins and a boiler hat (praying to Eris is like praying to a random number generator; doesn't really matter what you want, she's going to give you random).

---

Tom, I didn't make any changes to Becoming A Man after posting it. It's possible that there were some minor differences in the read. It's not unusual. :lol:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Well, here's hoping.

WRT Becoming a man- I must have just been tired when I read it. I really like it!

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:55 pm

dreamrock wrote: Tom, I didn't make any changes to Becoming A Man after posting it. It's possible that there were some minor differences in the read. It's not unusual. :lol:
If there were ANY changes, they were unintentional. I don't edit, I read. If it's wrong, I read it wrong. I had to change how some words were pronounced, but not the words.
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:32 am

I wouldn't worry about it. When I read Where's A Friend I accidentally said the line "I wait" twice and it worked better so I didn't bother changing it. In my experience, what happens subconsciously when reading that way is usually for the best.

I think your reading was excellent.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:53 am

All I'm saying, is I liked it even better in audio than in text. :-)

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Add my name to the "Willing Victim" list, if you would, please.
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

cdugger wrote:Add my name to the "Willing Victim" list, if you would, please.
Done. :D

Also made a minor reorganization of the thread that should render it slightly less confusing for new readers.

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 pm

swamp wrote:I tend toward sound production, mostly because I don't like my voice without it. I suppose that is common, but a little music or background noise goes a long way for me liking my own stuff.
Interesting. After stating this, I struggled with the production of "Time Freeze" (which I just sent up) because I was trying to add too much, taking away from the strength of the story. So I ended up backing off to mostly straight naration, and I think it turned out better for it.

I also finished "Hunger On Certain Streets" and sent it up the pipline.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 am

:lol: Swamp is the man. Y'all are in for a treat come 7:30PMish EST this Friday. I feel particularly lucky to have gotten my hands on that phenomenal bit of sumthin sumthin early.

swamp

Post by swamp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:52 am

I'm glad you liked it, dreamrock! I liked both of these last stories. One minor janitorial note: Time Freeze should be filed as a short story

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 am

:oops: Fixed.

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm

swamp wrote:Interesting. After stating this, I struggled with the production of "Time Freeze"
Awwww! I just recorded that one!

Dangit.

swamp

Post by swamp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm

cdugger wrote:
swamp wrote:Interesting. After stating this, I struggled with the production of "Time Freeze"
Awwww! I just recorded that one!

Dangit.
I'm sorry. :( I ususally post "Dribble Dibs" or something like that in the story post if I am working on recording a story just in case something like this would happen. For what ever reason, I didn't do that this time. Perhaps we should come up with an official process to avoid this in the future.

However, there is nothing that says there can't be two versions of the same story on the podcast. Go ahead and post it. I'd be interested to hear someone else's take on it, and you took the time to record it and all. :)

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:37 pm

swamp wrote:
swamp wrote:I tend toward sound production, mostly because I don't like my voice without it. I suppose that is common, but a little music or background noise goes a long way for me liking my own stuff.
Interesting. After stating this, I struggled with the production of "Time Freeze" (which I just sent up) because I was trying to add too much, taking away from the strength of the story. So I ended up backing off to mostly straight naration, and I think it turned out better for it.

I also finished "Hunger On Certain Streets" and sent it up the pipline.
I'm still catching up on these, but I just thought I'd say that I enjoyed this reading without the effects. There isn't anything wrong with your voice, it is even and smooth and was easy to listen to.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

swamp wrote:However, there is nothing that says there can't be two versions of the same story on the podcast. Go ahead and post it. I'd be interested to hear someone else's take on it, and you took the time to record it and all. :)
Yeppers. ROU even did two versions of the same story. No reason at all that two people can't both do a story.