Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
cdugger

Re: Fan Cast (Dribblecast Decision Making)

Post by cdugger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:11 am

Even if you guys had a place to post about recording, I didn't check. I just went into the "studio" and did it. And three others. One of those got trashed. Crap, CRAP I SAY! Not the story, mind you. The reading. CRAP!

Already submitted the others, so we'll see. They were "Nor Hope for Heaven Nor Fear of Hell" by Strawman and "Rhetorical Questions" by Scattercat.

Gonna read some more this week, probably. Gotta squeeze them in between doing my podcast. A two week schedule on that takes a week and a half to do. Just posted it and have to start working on it again!
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 am

I'll check 'em out a little later in the night.

Our normal procedure, if it can be called "normal," is to post "dibs on [story] by [whoever]" in the thread if we're not going to be able to do the story that instant. It's not a great method because then you have to read the backlog to figure out what's going on. Blah.

If anyone has any suggestions for a better dibs system (like a website or something), or a "vote for the best drabble/short story of the month" where people can nominate stuff at any time, please let the thread know about it. I looked last night and mostly found obnoxious poll-scam sites that--in addition to being scammy--didn't have the options I specifically Googled for.

EDIT: Just a note, I'll occasionally have two drabbles go up the same day, but generally I'll space the stories out a bit. With a very dribble christmas this week, I'll probably schedule one of your recordings to go up today or tomorrow, and the rest to go up starting Sunday and later.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:19 am

cdugger wrote: They were "Nor Hope for Heaven Nor Fear of Hell" by Strawman and "Rhetorical Questions" by Scattercat.
Nor Hope Nor Fear was also Scattercat.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:20 am

No Fear of Hope was strawman.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 am

strawman wrote:Nor Hope Nor Fear was also Scattercat.
Duh. Looked at the last post, not the OP.

Sorry about that.
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 am

dreamrock wrote:Our normal procedure, if it can be called "normal," is to post "dibs on [story] by [whoever]" in the thread if we're not going to be able to do the story that instant.
Dibs wouldn't work for me. I decide in the "studio" which story I'll be reading, and usually will be doing multiple stories in one session.

If I ever send in a dupe that can't be posted, no prob. I am having fun, and don't have any ego wrapped up in this.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 am

This has gotten slightly complex. :lol: Just so the readers know what's coming down the pipe ...

Nor Hope, Oct. 7
Hunger On, Oct. 8
Rhetorical, Oct. 11
Time Freeze (recording 2), Oct. 13

I think they're scheduled for 5PMish EDT, but Hunger On might be at some odd time.

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:08 pm

OOoo! Now I know WHEN my 15 minutes will be!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Hah! Normalized was awesome.
Time Freeze was very well done, if sad.

swamp

Post by swamp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:01 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Hah! Normalized was awesome.
Yes, I forgot to say how much I enjoyed that one here in the forums. I did comment on the dribble itself. I look forward to ejbman's readings. Oh, what am I saying, I love evryone's dribbles.

Re: Dibs - Maybe we just need a dedicated thread for it in the forums, or the Dribblecast needs it own board group. As cdugger said, that still doesn't gaurutee everyone will look first (or remember to claim dibs), but at least it would be a dedicated spot for people to use. Perhaps the "If-you-build-it" scenario will play out.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Ugh. FreeForums is more broken than usual. Sigh.

I think a dibs/nominations thread would probably work.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Lovin' your work cdugger
Phenopath's Story Archive

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Hah! Normalized was awesome.
swamp wrote: I look forward to ejbman's readings.
Humble thanks to you both.

swamp wrote:Oh, what am I saying, I love evryone's dribbles.
phenopath wrote:Lovin' your work cdugger
I concur!
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Regarding dibs: this might be taking things too seriously, but there's a free project/todo/collaboration list thingy at http://hitask.com

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 pm

ejbman wrote:Regarding dibs: this might be taking things too seriously, but there's a free project/todo/collaboration list thingy at voo2do.com...
Hm. Doesn't look quite as collaborative as I'd like, but maybe that's because I haven't logged in. It does remind me of a bugtracker, though. In a sense, that's the perfect system even if it's the wrong metaphor. Anyone can submit a "bug"--in this case, the fact that a given story hasn't been recorded--people can support the fact that the "bug" needs fixing, and then other people can "accept" responsibility for fixing the bug.

As complex as it sounds from that explanation, it should be rather simple from an end user perspective. Many public bugtracking systems even allow people to file bugs without creating user accounts, which would suit my moods perfectly. That said, it may be painting racing stripes on a buggy. A simple thread isn't as flexible, but it's a lot easier to understand.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:19 pm

I don't think there is any need for a complex system, possession is nine tenths of the law. Perhaps you should be more sly about it; if you see a great drabble comment "this drabble is really crap" in the forums and then rush off and record it before anybody else.

Also, in a desperate attempt to prove that I am unembarrassable (at least while under a cloak of anonymity) I have uploaded babdydyke's 'What Do YOU Do With A Drunken Sailor?". I apologies in advance.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 pm

dreamrock wrote:
ejbman wrote:Regarding dibs: this might be taking things too seriously, but there's a free project/todo/collaboration list thingy at voo2do.com...
Hm. Doesn't look quite as collaborative as I'd like, but maybe that's because I haven't logged in. It does remind me of a bugtracker, though. In a sense, that's the perfect system even if it's the wrong metaphor. Anyone can submit a "bug"--in this case, the fact that a given story hasn't been recorded--people can support the fact that the "bug" needs fixing, and then other people can "accept" responsibility for fixing the bug.

As complex as it sounds from that explanation, it should be rather simple from an end user perspective. Many public bugtracking systems even allow people to file bugs without creating user accounts, which would suit my moods perfectly. That said, it may be painting racing stripes on a buggy. A simple thread isn't as flexible, but it's a lot easier to understand.
heh heh Note that I switched it from voo2do.com to hitask.com before you responded. In any case, point taken - both yours an phenopath's. I'm open to either.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

My humble opinion, is that I like to hear multiple people reading the same story. I view there as being some issues with calling dibs in an "official" manner. Sometimes people get busy and drop the ball, locking up a story from being recorded by somebody with more free time.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:39 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:My humble opinion, is that I like to hear multiple people reading the same story. I view there as being some issues with calling dibs in an "official" manner. Sometimes people get busy and drop the ball, locking up a story from being recorded by somebody with more free time.
Indeed, in such circumstances there should be a no-holds-barred dribble-off. Winner gets the glory.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:51 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:My humble opinion, is that I like to hear multiple people reading the same story. I view there as being some issues with calling dibs in an "official" manner. Sometimes people get busy and drop the ball, locking up a story from being recorded by somebody with more free time.
True. I don't want stories to get held back from being read, especially not multiple versions of stories where readers are interested in doing that.

My bigger thing is that a lot of stories that people would like to hear aren't being read and I've had at least one reader reach out to me in PM saying they'd like to read but they don't want to be the one selecting stories. Similar cases have posted in the thread or other places. I want some way to bridge that gap.