Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by dreamrock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Wolfshade wrote:My experience has been that if you start making your sound file in audacity by opening a file that is already tagged with Audacity, it assumes the tags are meant to carry through. You can avoid this (I think) by starting from a fresh, empty project and importing the sound files you will incorporate one at a time. To be safe, you might even make sure the 1st thing you do in the project is record a few seconds of silence before importing your 1st file..I'd have to do a test to see if the tags from the 1st import are 'kept' or not. It's been a while since I used Audacity!
I always start my projects with the first WAV file I've recorded for them (handily pre-named STE-000.wav ... slightly joking on the handy part) which should have the same effect. However, when I import a file that has tags into that project, it takes the tags from the file and overwrites the blank tags. I haven't tried seeing if it would do the same thing if I start with one of my own mp3 files.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
F5iver
Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:20 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by F5iver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm

*head spinning*

User avatar
Wolfshade
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by Wolfshade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:54 pm

dreamrock wrote: I always start my projects with the first WAV file I've recorded for them (handily pre-named STE-000.wav ... slightly joking on the handy part) which should have the same effect. However, when I import a file that has tags into that project, it takes the tags from the file and overwrites the blank tags.
hmmm. I'm almost positive I've done as you describe and NOT had the tags overwrite. i wonder if it has to do with version. One solution I guess would be to let it do whatever it wants and then use a separate tagging program on the file when you're done.
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by dreamrock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Wolfshade wrote:hmmm. I'm almost positive I've done as you describe and NOT had the tags overwrite. i wonder if it has to do with version. One solution I guess would be to let it do whatever it wants and then use a separate tagging program on the file when you're done.
I'm a little obsessive so I tag it in Audacity and then open it in foobar2000 (windows mp3 player, not an advertisement ... it's free but it's not for people who don't fiddle) and double-check the tags there.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Wolfshade wrote:
swamp wrote:
2) If you are not promted to provide the ID tag information when Exporting as mp3, the file will take on the ID's of a previously exported file. Such as with my latest Dribble. I had previously made the "yeehaw" sfx as a separate mp3, and then later imported it into the main "Birthday" project. When I exported "Birthday" as an mp3, it didn't prompt me for the ID tags. I see now that it is up on the feed and in iTunes as "yeehaw" instead of "Birthday". Does anybody know how to prevent this?
My experience has been that if you start making your sound file in audacity by opening a file that is already tagged with Audacity, it assumes the tags are meant to carry through. You can avoid this (I think) by starting from a fresh, empty project and importing the sound files you will incorporate one at a time. To be safe, you might even make sure the 1st thing you do in the project is record a few seconds of silence before importing your 1st file..I'd have to do a test to see if the tags from the 1st import are 'kept' or not. It's been a while since I used Audacity!
I'll always start fresh, but when I import an MP3 it brings the tags along from that, so it's my experience that you do have to reset it.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by Phenopath » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:34 pm

OK, I have a question... what is the best way to set the level, and ensure an approximately consistent volume between recordings (and with other tracks)?

I two approaches I have are:
- randomly increasing the gain if things seem a bit quiet.
- doing nothing

This strikes me a somewhat subjective/inconsistent. What is the correct solution?

Yours faithfully,

Perplexed of Milton Keynes
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:02 am

I use option a, but I'm a random kind of guy.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
F5iver
Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:20 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by F5iver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 am

I adjust the 'amplify' to fix the differences once I put the voices together. But I'm a noobie, so whadya expect?

User avatar
Wolfshade
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by Wolfshade » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Phenopath wrote:OK, I have a question... what is the best way to set the level, and ensure an approximately consistent volume between recordings (and with other tracks)?

I two approaches I have are:
- randomly increasing the gain if things seem a bit quiet.
- doing nothing

This strikes me a somewhat subjective/inconsistent. What is the correct solution?

Yours faithfully,

Perplexed of Milton Keynes
There are a lot of possible answers to this one. There's the level, and there's the range. You don't want too much range in a podcast because the low end won't be very audible in a car or with outside noise around. This means you want to bring up the low stuff and then adjust the gain of the whole file using "amplify" which you can use to bring the volume up or down. The fastest way to reduce your range is with the levelator. This should be run on vocal tracks (with no effects or music). I don't use it personally because it does fade out here and there (and I prefer the ease/quality of Adobe Audition's tools...but that is a costly option). The long way is to amplify little pieces manually. Once you have a smaller range, make sure you use the amplify to bring your level to the same place every time. I want the majority of my vocals to sit in the -6 to -3 dB range. Some prefer a bit quieter. Consistency is what is important. Don't let any part of your signal max out. Bring down the inordinately loud stuff in line with the rest.
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Editing/Audacity Tips and Help

Post by Phenopath » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Wolfshade wrote:
Phenopath wrote:OK, I have a question... what is the best way to set the level, and ensure an approximately consistent volume between recordings (and with other tracks)?

I two approaches I have are:
- randomly increasing the gain if things seem a bit quiet.
- doing nothing

This strikes me a somewhat subjective/inconsistent. What is the correct solution?

Yours faithfully,

Perplexed of Milton Keynes
There are a lot of possible answers to this one. There's the level, and there's the range. You don't want too much range in a podcast because the low end won't be very audible in a car or with outside noise around. This means you want to bring up the low stuff and then adjust the gain of the whole file using "amplify" which you can use to bring the volume up or down. The fastest way to reduce your range is with the levelator. This should be run on vocal tracks (with no effects or music). I don't use it personally because it does fade out here and there (and I prefer the ease/quality of Adobe Audition's tools...but that is a costly option). The long way is to amplify little pieces manually. Once you have a smaller range, make sure you use the amplify to bring your level to the same place every time. I want the majority of my vocals to sit in the -6 to -3 dB range. Some prefer a bit quieter. Consistency is what is important. Don't let any part of your signal max out. Bring down the inordinately loud stuff in line with the rest.
Cool thanks, that was the answer that I was looking for. Expect great consistency from future Phenopath dribblings.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Post Reply