Drabblecast for Beginners

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Talia

Drabblecast for Beginners

Post by Talia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:20 am

:p

So I have these friends who know nothing about podcast fiction, in fact who don't listen to podcasts at all, but they have my same sense of humor and I can't help but think they'd really, really, really enjoy DC.

I'm wondering about episodes that might be good introductions for such individuals - people with zero podcast experience, but who are genre-friendly and enjoy the funny and weird. Or just anything that provides a good introduction to the show as a whole, so new listeners can get a sense of what its all about.

I guess this sounds really vague, so let me rephrase it this way:

if you could pick a few episodes to introduce new listeners to the show with, which would you choose?

(maybe I'm just overthinking things and any episode would do - I'm not sure. I do tend to overthink everything all the time).

strawman

Re: Drabblecast for Beginners

Post by strawman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am

Check out http://gardenstreet.org/drabblecastarchive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Me, ROU and Phenopath got our 10 favorites posted there. I can't vouch for their choices, but mine is certainly the most comprehensive, since it's a year more recent.

Go ye now therefore and spread the DrabbleNews to every tribe and nation!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:40 am

Ooh, good call, good call.

I shall bring more converts to the cause! :p

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:44 am

Having just fallen upon DC a few weeks ago (I'm still catching up on the last episodes) my first was Route 9 and it pulled me in instantly. My other favourites so far have been Jubilee and Mongoose.

But in all honesty from what I've heard there are few DC stories which are alike and it's going to come down to your mates' individual tastes. I think what appealed to me most in the three I mentioned was how the story ended prematurely, or with enough dangling to let the listener's imagination take over, and I like that. I like that a lot.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:15 pm

If the newcomers aren't religious (or are exceptionally good humored about it) the B-side story Geez Louise is great.

If they like silly (ie they're Python fans) the b-side The Elves Hate You, the Clown Rodeo episode, or Now Let Us Praise Awesome Dinosaurs are great for that.

If they like dark, Clown Eggs, Teddy Bears and Tea Parties, Annabelle's Alphabet, and that one about the guy who digitizes the dead are good.

For fans of straight up SF, I recommend Babel Probe and I'm sure more will come to me soon. :lol:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

PureChance

Post by PureChance » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I'd put The Beekeepers in with the straight SF, and Higher Than Usual in with the silly.
"Everything tricks, and everything cheats, and everything, everything, everything eats."

Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties by S. Boyd Taylor