Trying to hunt down a particular story...

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ejbman

Trying to hunt down a particular story...

Post by ejbman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 am

...and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Can you help me figure out how to find a story with the following characteristics?:

1) Pretty sure it was produced by a speculative fiction podcast, possibly even our very own DC.
2) Most likely produced in 2010, but +/- 2 years; I seem to remember hearing it early this summer, but I listen to back catalogs quite a bit.
3) Set in a parallel universe, steampunk-like atmosphere
4) Most of the story is on an airship
5) A sultan or other middle-eastern-type royalty is on the airship
6) Protagonist is a guest of the royalty
7) Protagonist has mini-bots that are intelligent spiders or bugs of some kind
8) This universe has 'computational spirits' or something like that, which pseudo-magically animate the bots
9) The royalty gets poisoned by a pirate/ninja that boards the ship
10) The pirate/ninja turns out to be the sister of the royalty's wife/consort
11) There's a fight scene on the surface of the airship that nearly leads to the protagonist's death
12) The pirate/ninja flies some kind of black plane or small sleek attack airship

This is what I can remember about the story. It was obviously very cool. I'm trying to find it again for a friend who is very into steampunk stuff, and the introduction into that universe of the science/magic is especially intriguing.

Any help finding this thing would be greatly appreciated and will probably help keep me from the mountains of madness.

Thanks!
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

dreamrock

Re: Trying to hunt down a particular story...

Post by dreamrock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Pretty sure that was either EscapePod or Pod Castle. I want to say the author's name was Abe something? I'm trying to track it down, but not remembering the title it's a little hard. Plus EscapePod just went down aside from just the front page. :lol:

EDIT: Hm, maybe not. Grr. I'm nearly certain I've heard that story, but sheesh.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Ok, so the one I'm thinking of is Ben Rosenbaum's (yeah, I always get his first name wrong but it's the only part I remember ... :lol: and I get it wrong every time) Biographical Notes to
“A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with Air-planes”. The PodCastle episode is here ... when the Escape Artists sites stop vomiting on themselves. The text version, while you wait to see if I got the story right, is here.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:00 pm

dreamrock wrote:Ok, so the one I'm thinking of is Ben Rosenbaum's (yeah, I always get his first name wrong but it's the only part I remember ... :lol: and I get it wrong every time) Biographical Notes to
“A Discourse on the Nature of Causality, with Air-planes”. The PodCastle episode is here ... when the Escape Artists sites stop vomiting on themselves. The text version, while you wait to see if I got the story right, is here.
That was it! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. I owe you one. It was driving me batty. :lol:
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.