Drabble Reviews Blog

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Goldenrat

Re: Drabble Reviews Blog

Post by Goldenrat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:28 am

Interesting to read the reviews of Tron: Legacy. I was a big Tron bobo back in the day and re-watched the original lately and agree it held up fairly well. I also dumped a ton of quarters in the Tron game at the Dinkytown Dome in Minneapolis in 1986 and had the high score for a long time. I was mildly disappointed in the new movie, though. It was OK for the most part but the 30 minute Zeus bit just killed me. It thought that was over the top and especially terrible. The ending was OK. I went in wanting to like it in the worst way and came away a little bummed out. My wife and high school son loved it, but thought the original was a cheesefest.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:01 am

You can never go back, Goldenrat. You can never go back.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 am

tbaker2500 wrote:You can never go back, Goldenrat. You can never go back.
i think that is a false statement because it really looked like Jeff Bridges did go back in time in the film
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:57 am

Can we agree that WE can't go back but Jeff Bridges can? Maybe it's something to do with being a golfer.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm

themorg wrote:
i think that is a false statement because it really looked like Jeff Bridges did go back in time in the film
Really? I believe it's a true statement. Goldenrat can never go back. I never addressed other people. :wink:

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:37 am

The Walking Dead Book One, by Robert Kirkman

I am aware that I'm possibly the only comic reader who had yet to read these, but I'm still going to say here that everyone should read them. even if they don't like comics, even if they don't like zombie stories.

Especially if they don't like zombie stories.

I didn't know what to expect, but I did know I thought there would be more, well, dead... walking in the book, but Kirkman uses zombies sparingly in this book. No, what this is is a character-driven survival story. The apocalyptic situation is used to throw a group of disparate people, whom you would be hard pressed to find in a single situation outside of this one, let alone for an extended period of time, and then the pressure is turned up as food and tempers run out.

Other than Alan Moore's From hell I don't think the term 'graphic novel' applies really to most other comics. The word 'comic' does them fine, but this is really a novel in picture format. I really can't recommend it enough.

3/3 all the way.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
themorg wrote:
Really? I believe it's a true statement. Goldenrat can never go back. I never addressed other people. :wink:
I was never there in the first place. I only saw the original Tron because a woman I dated for a few months near the middleish of this year wanted me to see it. :lol: Not like she dragged me kicking and screaming to see it or anything, but it wasn't high on my priorities. :D
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:18 am

You didn't like the part with Zues? That was my favorite part. (He was the only character in the movie whose motivations made any sense.)
Advertise in this space!

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:09 am

Just started watching a new series on Hulu about Portland. I give the show 91 out of 100 because i thought they were playing on culture in portland in a really funny way. I laughed because how true some things were and because there were genuinely funny things on the show. Because of the newness of the show you can still get in on it and i do not want to spoil it with my comments.

http://www.hulu.com/portlandia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 am

themorg wrote:Just started watching a new series on Hulu about Portland. I give the show 91 out of 100 because i thought they were playing on culture in portland in a really funny way. I laughed because how true some things were and because there were genuinely funny things on the show. Because of the newness of the show you can still get in on it and i do not want to spoil it with my comments.

http://www.hulu.com/portlandia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also there was a clip that is filmed literally outside my house so i guess i am fully bias on the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJhRMT9508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

"Surface Detail" by Iain M. Banks

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:12 am

"Surface Detail" by Iain M. Banks
Another book in the Culture series, a well thought out edition to the milieu. While it doesn't topple any of my current favorites in this series, it was must-read if only for a pivotal scene involving the Abominator-class ROU Operating Outside the Normal Moral Contraints. <salutes to my brother ROU, twas awesome, dude...>

Fairly standard multi-threaded plot structure to the book. He ties it up nicely as usual, although his signature dramatic ending surprise didn't give me the shivers that the endings of some of his other novels have.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mikes

Re: "Surface Detail" by Iain M. Banks

Post by Mikes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 am

The Troll Hunter

Possibly my most favouritest film ever.

In short a Blair Witch Project-style documentary about a trio of Norwegian collge students doing their thesis on a probably troll hunter. Is he? isn't he? Well, it would be a pretty crappy and short film if he wasn't.

Very well done for a low budget film, and the acting hits the right notes, the story doesn't get too heckneyed and the scenery is just jaw-dropping.

5/5

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

I've been on Troll Hunter since I saw a preview last Fall. No clue as to when we might have access stateside. Good to hear it is worthy of the anticipation.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Really? I would have thought it would have come out alreayd over there, given it's been released here and Australia always gets everything last. Did you check the smaller, indie cinemas?

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

All I got from the Google is who bought the US rights and 'releasing 2011.' So I've followed standard procedure for such instances: put it in my 'saved' films in Netflix, to sit on until hatching occurs, probably say a year from now.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am

Well all I can say is it will be worth the wait. If you like films like the Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield and The Last Broadcast you're in for a treat.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 am

Indie cinemas? Oh, to live in a place with indie cinemas!

Curse you, Cinemark!
Advertise in this space!

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 am

Apollo 18

Not a review, but a statement at how excited I am about this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772240/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Produced by Timur Bekmambetov, the same guy who directed the almost-stellar Wanted, this a documentary style film of lost, now found, footage of the Apollo 18 moon landings the implications it may have for Earth.

In case noone has guessed yet, I love mockumentary films, I'm generally easily sucked into a story anyway, but these lead to a plateau of believability that leaves me second guessing reality long after the credits have finished rolling. Hell, I ended up walking my house with a tape measure after finishing House of Leaves.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 am

I just finished watching Renaissance, a 2006 sci-fi thriller set in future Paris. The plot is good, engaging, and surprising at times. But what really makes this flick great is the visuals. It is entirely animated, using motion-tracking for realism. But the exquisite detail is flattened to black or white comic-book style inked drawings. The effect is stunning. Highlighted with subtle grayscaling of certain objects such as cars, and true-life motion, it is a truly innovative piece of cinema.

If you're looking for a hard-boiled detective drama in a sci-fi setting, it's worth a watch.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 am

Paul
If you liked Shaun o' Dead or Hot Fuzz, you will love this movie. Less strange than those two offerings, but higher comedic value.
I was laughing through the whole damn movie! 5 stars.