Microphones

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
nevermore_66
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (by way of Norway, Montreal, and October Country, IL)

Microphones

Post by nevermore_66 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey audiophiles, what microphones do you all prefer to use for voice recording?
Boy meets girl.
Boy looses girl.
Boy gets girl back...
...one piece at a time.
Strangeness in the Proportion
(Now with 20% more absinthe!)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Microphones

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 am

Well, I use a Shure SM58, but it's not a USB mic. XLR>Mixer>Line-in.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

scottjpigg

Post by scottjpigg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:11 am

I would love a Sm7b or a rode nta2. a few others strike my fancy as well. Its nice to find someone that has the mic you want, to look at and record something so you know if you like it or not. For my money my cheapo MXL 990 has worked out pretty good so far. I am shopping around for my next level mic. lots of the people that record for our show have started to use the snowball usb mic and we haven't had much trouble with the sound from that so long as you use good mic technique.

cdugger

Post by cdugger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 pm

I started podcasting and voice acting with a very crappy line-in mic (yes, it DID cost $1).

Upgraded to the Samson Q2U USB/XLR combination mic (+/- $50). Still my favorite, but currently on loan to a friend.

Went with the Samson Q6 ($35) for my Christian podcast (Using a USB mixer and lining into a PC).

For voice acting, I now have the Samson Meteor USB mic. IT RAWKS! Absolutely wonderful sound. $100, looks and functions like $500. It's very sensitive, though, so I had to re-learn some of my techniques.
Artist's blog: http://cbdugger.livejournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian podcast: http://therighteousdude.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;