Signing up - wholly moly

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
Irate Grizzly

Signing up - wholly moly

Post by Irate Grizzly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 am

Signing up for these forums was crazy involved. Either you're paranoid, which is ok because they are out to get you, or I just gave a hacker everything he needs to take my life.

Eh, I'll roll with it and see what happens. Either way, I imagine it'll be, at least, a little weirder than normal. Maybe someone here will know where to find moly...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Signing up - wholly moly

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 am

It's been a few years since I signed in. But I am helping build the next website/forums for the Drabblecast. So when we move this away from freeforums, we'll get control. What sorta crap does it ask for now?

For the new site, I'm thinking it shouldn't be anything more than email address, login name and password.

Well thanks for making the effort. Put your feet up, stay awhile, and eat a fine slice of weird.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Irate Grizzly

Post by Irate Grizzly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:30 pm

I had some trouble with the conformation app, but got through it after a few tries. It also required my cell phone number for a conformation code text message. Then I started getting daily spam texts about quizzes and random facts about the state of Georgia.

I just went in a and edited my account's permission settings, hopefully that'll stop the text messages. The account permissions allow everything by default, which is a phisher or hacker's dream.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 am

Irate Grizzly wrote:I had some trouble with the conformation app, but got through it after a few tries. It also required my cell phone number for a conformation code text message. Then I started getting daily spam texts about quizzes and random facts about the state of Georgia.

I just went in a and edited my account's permission settings, hopefully that'll stop the text messages. The account permissions allow everything by default, which is a phisher or hacker's dream.
It needed your frigging CELL PHONE NUMBER? Oh wow. Yea, let's work on that.

Tom

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:01 pm

whoa, I had no idea! That is completely ridiculous and was never the case before. Freeforums royally pisses me off when they do this stuff.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:35 pm

normsherman wrote:whoa, I had no idea! That is completely ridiculous and was never the case before. Freeforums royally pisses me off when they do this stuff.
Norm, have you read my email re: forums? Let me know what you think.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 am

Checked it out. We (the Drabblecast forums) never ask for a cell phone number. There is no option in the backend to turn it on or off. So I hit the support forums, learned up. There is an ad that will occasionally cycle in and that can appear on the sign up page that does ask for a cell number. Nothing we can do about that, other than upgrade to remove ads, or take the forums off freeforums. Which hopefully we are doing. The end.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Irate Grizzly

Post by Irate Grizzly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Whatever it was, it showed up as a $10 monthly subscription on my cell phone bill. I was able to cancel it, block future auto subscriptions, and get my money back. So no harm, no foul.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Irate Grizzly wrote:Whatever it was, it showed up as a $10 monthly subscription on my cell phone bill. I was able to cancel it, block future auto subscriptions, and get my money back. So no harm, no foul.
Wow. Well, sorry about that. New boards now, no ads at all.