Norm's Big News

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Norm's Big News

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Norm let loose a pretty sizable news item in the intro to ep 268 - he will begin his tenure as chief editor of Escape Pod in February. Escape Pod is a giant in the audio genre fiction landscape, and comes highly recommended to anyone who has yet to listen to one of its hundreds of offerings. Norm has already hosted, his behind-the-scenes role will greatly expand, and I wish him the best.

The Drabblecast will glide on through the unlit channels of our primordial mindscapes without a hint of slowing. Fret not dear Drabble rabble: Mr. Sherman still captains this vessel.

More Norm is good Norm, says I! I will congratulate him personally, if he ever emerges from that bunker. :mrgreen:
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Norm's Big News

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeah, Norm or somebody tweeted as much a week or two ago.

But I'm concerned. EP has a history of chewing through people. Might this be the start of some hideous infliction of unproductive insanity upon Mr. Sherman? (As opposed to the productive-enough-to-podcast brand of insanity)

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:But I'm concerned. EP has a history of chewing through people. Might this be the start of some hideous infliction of unproductive insanity upon Mr. Sherman? (As opposed to the productive-enough-to-podcast brand of insanity)
It's a fair point. I would say though that few have been closer to the source to observe the transformative effects of EP editorship. Norm goes in with his eyes open.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: But I'm concerned. EP has a history of chewing through people. Might this be the start of some hideous infliction of unproductive insanity upon Mr. Sherman? (As opposed to the productive-enough-to-podcast brand of insanity)
I think the key is securing good help from others. The Drabblecast would have never lasted to this day without Nicky and Nathan, and Matt Bey before them; the website would be a pile of weeds from the year 2004 without Tom and Bo, and the forums would have fallen into maelstrom and disarray without folks like you.
Escapepod has a similar community of engaged volunteers and staff that I plan to rely on even more than previous cap'ns. 'Cuz ya, I never would have agreed to take the helm otherwise. :)
"Give us all some Jelly"

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 pm

This is great news. Congratulations Norm on landing the gig, and even bigger congratulations to Escape Pod for landing Norm!!!

I originally found The Drabblecast via Escape Pod when Steve recommended we listeners check it out. I remember thinking back then how cool it was that Steve would recommend a "competitor." Since then I've come to listen to both Podcasts regularly, as well as Clarkesworld and Starship Sofa, and have supported most of them financially as well. (It turns out that the real (and losing) competitor was mindless TV watching.)

Of course the real winners here are us listeners. I'm hopeful that Norm will bring his style to Escape Pod in a few ways, and will boldly share the top two items on my "Norm takes over Escape Pod" wishlist here in case he drops by to browse this thread:

1. Bring Drabblecast-style production values (sound effects, music, and atmospherics) to Escape Pod. This would be awesome.

2. Improve the story selection at Escape Pod to stay more focused on Science Fiction. Escape Pod too often strays into magic/fantasy for my taste, and often does it without telling us at the beginning of a story that it will not be a science fiction story. I like fantasy and magic stories from time to time but I never want them at THE science fiction podcast. (Because I love steak and I love lobster but when I go to a lobster restaurant and order a lobster, I really don't want them to bring me steak and say it is good too.)

Again, congratulations!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Go, Norm!
No, I mean it. Go! Get outta here! :D
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.