Clowns and Bunnies

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Clowns and Bunnies

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:17 pm

So, I'm thinking about jumping in to the shallow end of the podcasting pool with weekly "flashcast's" of my ditties.

Toying with the name "Clowns and Bunnies and Other Scary Things" but who knows what I'll end up settling on.

My question is this.

What software is best for putting a podcast together?

Also interested in what sort of server you'd recommend to host it on?

I'm trying to talk an old high school friend who has a great baritone voice and acting background to do my narration (sadly, I have the nasal vocal qualities you'd expect from a nerd of my stature...)

But, if anyone else was interested in doing some voice work with very low hours and even lower pay, feel free to drop me a PM.

All in the technologically formative stage, of course, but at least I have a pretty good body of drabbles to get me started when I figure out how to do the production side.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

alhilton

Re: Clowns and Bunnies

Post by alhilton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:14 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: What software is best for putting a podcast together?
If you're on a PC, start with Audacity. If you're on a Mac, start with Garage Band.
Also interested in what sort of server you'd recommend to host it on?
A lot of people would tell you to go look at Libsyn. Other people would tell you to just get a Wordpress blog with the podpress plug-in (I would be one of those people, but only because that's what I know). There are several ways to achieve this. Wordpress has a list of preferred hosts that work best with their system, but the options are legion and most of them work fine.

uTube has some videos about setting up your feed that I found useful, and more get added all the time. A video can be worth a million forum posts. Podiobooks.com community is full of people trying to learn to podcast and podcasters answering their questions, so that's a helpful place to go (although they focus more on recording, and less on managing a feed, because a lot of those people don't manage their own feeds).
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 am

Erm. Ehem.

[shamelessselfpromotion]

Free Mode Media can set you up with a Wordpress blog at your own domain for a very reasonable price.

[/shamelessselfpromotion]
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 am

Again I'm appalled by the shameless self-promotion, THROWN UP in my face.

(p.s., Read My Drabbles...)

Thx, you two, for the info. Already downloaded Audacity and am going to play around with it.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:06 pm

You're welcome. :)

If you go the Wordpress route, getting someone like Tweedy to set it up initially is a very good idea unless you're a programmer. That's a one-time thing and it's a headache.

On the other hand, for all on-going processes, there's no substitute for knowing how to do it yourself. I recommend beating your head against the wall until you understand it; you'll be happier in the end.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

He he. It's funny because he's holding a lamp.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm

strawman wrote:Image
Oh Noes!!! Strawman hijacked my thread. (Please don't tug on it too hard...)
One funny pic deserves another.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:04 am

alhilton wrote:You're welcome. :)

If you go the Wordpress route, getting someone like Tweedy to set it up initially is a very good idea unless you're a programmer. That's a one-time thing and it's a headache.

On the other hand, for all on-going processes, there's no substitute for knowing how to do it yourself. I recommend beating your head against the wall until you understand it; you'll be happier in the end.
Well, my first computer was an Altair 8800a, so I'm quite used to beating my head against the great wall of bits that is modern information technology. That was one pimpin system, what with the 64K of memory, 8 inch floppy drive and 24 line ADM3a Ascii monitor...

Oh yeah...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:23 am

I have my first guest narrator for CBOST. Kevin Colligan from Well Told Tales has graciously accepted my request to voice an episode and promised me a big shout out on a WTT episode.

I'm sure a 3-5 minute weekly podcast will turn out to be a bigger job than I anticipate, but it'll be good for me.

Should keep me busy and outta trouble.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 am

ZOMFG, Norm said he'd narrate an episode for me.

Think I should give him the debut ?

Must... contain... excitement...

I know I'm probably the first to say this, not, but Norm you rock like granite, dude.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:25 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: I'm sure a 3-5 minute weekly podcast will turn out to be a bigger job than I anticipate, but it'll be good for me.
Exciting news, I will be listening. And a cunning way to circumvent The Editors.

Of course you start with a 5 minute tiddler, you will end with a 2 hour behemouth.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:29 am

Phenopath wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: I'm sure a 3-5 minute weekly podcast will turn out to be a bigger job than I anticipate, but it'll be good for me.
Exciting news, I will be listening. And a cunning way to circumvent The Editors.

Of course you start with a 5 minute tiddler, you will end with a 2 hour behemouth.
Really not trying to circumvent the submission process. I'd be thrilled beyond words if one of my drabbles got accepted for DC, but hey, let's be honest, if I wanted to get the bulk of them published here they'd have to rename it ROUcast... :P

But Norm did said that a bunch of my submissions are still in the works, so I am still holding out hopes there, should one of them be deemed worthy to appear in these august internet pathways.

Apparently there's a backlog though... can't imagine why. /whistles nonchalantly...

So, now I guess I've got my first subscriber... :) Thx for the support, Pheno, I knew I could rely on ya.