Page 243 of 386

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 am
by DireCari
strawman wrote:Fact is, many twabbles are not self-contained. They are single frames from a scene. That's the sense I have from this one, DireCari.
You are validating this characteristic, right? Or are you saying twabbles should be more fulsome?

My take is that twabbles are a form of “hint fiction,” where the goals are: 1) to evoke an emotional response; and, 2) to suggest a larger story. A successful “suggestion” will then induce some imaginative play in the reader/listener as they flesh-out the story in any number of ways.

Another assumption I have is that twabbles with gag lines are probably not considered up to snuff—though they are fun.

I'm all ears if any twabble experts want to clarify! :D
strawman wrote:It made me wonder if anyone could write a short story consisting of 100-character sentences. Then I thought it wouldn't be a very good short story because of pacing issues.

But what might be fun is trying it with a drabble. Call it double trouble, or twabble drabble.
See you guys in a week. I'm going in.
I'm kind of partial to these little tidbits, without any additional explanation or boundaries.

But, against my ornery nature, you caused me to have a glimmer of a supportive “plot” that might be ginned up as a drabble.

Then, I actually sat down and read your post. Haha. Twabble-drabble, indeed. I see YOU are wearing the punishment boots (and a matching riding crop).

Well, I just might take a whack it. :P I imagine it will be awful. :shock:

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: I can't decide if I should give a thumb's up for the Galaxina reference, or if I should sue for making me remember that movie. :? :)
Now, now. We have to air out these repressed memories if we're going to get better.
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:There have been attempts to do this; several on this very forum. Occasionally, a twabble and a sequel succeed. In fact, two such pairs have "won" the twabble contest. But the twabble-drabble attempts have not been anything to sneeze at. (I include my own)
Yeah, the twabble-drabble strikes me as a form of lexical torture, which, like the sweaty-headed sestina, is never destined for the heights of felicity.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm
by strawman
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that ASID never did a Twabble Drabble that was a pun. And anything that suppresses puns is a good thing.
DireCari wrote: like the sweaty-headed sestina, is never destined for the heights of felicity.
Way to turn a phrase :) :)

Lethal We-pun?

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:24 pm
by Algernon Sydney is Dead
strawman wrote:One thing I'm pretty sure of is that ASID never did a Twabble Drabble that was a pun. And anything that suppresses puns is a good thing.
Heresy!
But, alas, I'm going to have to decline the obvious challenge, for now.

On a "completely unrelated note":

His very unfunny vibe
really doesn't jibe;
It sucks out all the fun.
So, let's all annoy a sourpuss
with our jest we-puns.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:28 pm
by strawman
Thank you for the illustration.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm
by MonsieurMoustache
"Who is the fairest one of all?" The Queen asked. The mirror thought. "Urukrrr7# of planet Do5tht. By their standards."

Imaginary doctors, real bills

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 am
by Algernon Sydney is Dead
I am a hypochondriac with erectile dysfunction.
So I spend a lot of time in a "mental hospital" with a "growing problem".

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:29 am
by strawman
Every time he got excited, the blood rushed to his head. The doctor's diagnosis: he was a dick.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 pm
by Algernon Sydney is Dead
That would be a good one, if it was twabble length. But it's not, so it's not. It's just someone being a dick.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:05 pm
by Varda
The expectant mother was radiant until she heard the voice plead, "Help, there has been a mistake! I'm trapped in here!"

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 pm
by strawman
I used to wonder - well okay, I still wonder - about people not having any in utero memories.

Your twabble gives me a flash insight of what it would be like to have in utero adult awareness. Like Stewie Griffin, everyone is impressed you can speak and read at 1 week old, but you are psychologically maimed by your 9 months in solitary.

I imagine marking up the walls of the womb (whose womb is it, mother's or baby's?) to keep track of the 280 days.

I used to wonder... but then I realized some memories are painful. Could any type of rejection be more fundamental than that final eviction?

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:23 pm
by tbaker2500
Varda wrote:The expectant mother was radiant until she heard the voice plead, "Help, there has been a mistake! I'm trapped in here!"
Niiice...

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:14 pm
by Varda
strawman wrote:I imagine marking up the walls of the womb (whose womb is it, mother's or baby's?) to keep track of the 280 days.
Definitely belongs to the person whose brain's connected to the uterus. That little scamp better stop putting marks in the sentient prison walls! Ouch, ouch, OUCH! Now the placenta, that's true neutral territory. Mark away!
strawman wrote:I used to wonder - well okay, I still wonder - about people not having any in utero memories.
Probably because brain development's not anywhere near complete at birth. Humans have the biggest brain-to-body mass ratio of anything on Earth, but in order to get to that size, we get born much more "larval" than most other animals (which can hit the ground running often literally from day 1). That's the deal with an infant's fontanels (soft spots) on the head. The skull finishes forming about a year later after the brain finishes growing. First signs of true memory occur around 6 months old.

That's way too much biology for a Saturday morning. Go watch some cartoons! :P

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:42 pm
by strawman
Varda wrote: Definitely belongs to the person whose brain's connected to the uterus. That little scamp better stop putting marks in the sentient prison walls! Ouch, ouch, OUCH! Now the placenta, that's true neutral territory. Mark away!
I tried making a similar argument to a teenager who wanted to claim ownership of their room. I bought the house, I paid for the furniture, (and we all know who does the maintenance, don't we?) but somehow the "rule" is that the room belongs to them. How did the brain get disconnected from that?

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:03 pm
by Varda
strawman wrote:I tried making a similar argument to a teenager who wanted to claim ownership of their room. I bought the house, I paid for the furniture, (and we all know who does the maintenance, don't we?) but somehow the "rule" is that the room belongs to them. How did the brain get disconnected from that?
So who won that argument? Is he still living there? :lol:

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:31 pm
by strawman
I think the argument reduces to something very much like symbiosis. In the end, love has no rights.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:21 pm
by Varda
There you have it: parental love mystifies me. Nothing quite like it, seemingly irrational, but I'm glad it exists. Hope I'm lucky enough to join the club someday.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:52 pm
by Algernon Sydney is Dead
Varda wrote:The expectant mother was radiant until she heard the voice plead, "Help, there has been a mistake! I'm trapped in here!"
"Trapped"?!?? :?

Anyway, nice. Poor sap should know it could be worse:
My wife is a monster but I love her. "I see only you, my love."
She patted her gut and answered, "Digest in there, already."

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 pm
by strawman
Varda wrote:There you have it: parental love mystifies me. Nothing quite like it, seemingly irrational, but I'm glad it exists. Hope I'm lucky enough to join the club someday.
Well, you've already joined the "Love has no rights" club, by virtue of vowing "I do."

Don't fail to appreciate the irony of singing that Ronettes song,
Be my, be my baby
(Be my little baby)
My one and only baby
Be my, be my baby
My one and only baby

and then complaining that he's nothing but a big baby. We need to be careful what we pray for.

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm
by Varda
strawman wrote:Well, you've already joined the "Love has no rights" club, by virtue of vowing "I do."
Maybe so, but Mr. Varda certainly makes things easy, being an A+ human being. Our life together's been difficult in many ways, but always because of external factors and not internal ones. He's proven time and again that he's who I want at my back when the asteroid hits and the zombies invade.

On-Twabble-topic, did you guys catch this Reddit thread where they're writing 2-sentence horror stories? Some of them are brilliant. They need to cram them into a 100 word/character mold and get with the program over here!

Re: Post your Twitfic Twabbles Here! (General Content)

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 pm
by Algernon Sydney is Dead
Varda wrote:On-Twabble-topic, did you guys catch {some blather on the Devil's secondary site (after Face butt, book, whatever)}...
That's two demerits! :wink: