Strange but true: Good movies coming out this summer!

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Yea I liked it, the first part was awesome. But for a comedy, it got way to serious at the end.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:51 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Yea I liked it, the first part was awesome. But for a comedy, it got way to serious at the end.
You talking about Hellboy or Mama Mia?

Funny... Not two movies you'd expect to get confused.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Yea I liked it, the first part was awesome. But for a comedy, it got way to serious at the end.
You talking about Hellboy or Mama Mia?

Funny... Not two movies you'd expect to get confused.
Ok, that's not fair. I posted in reply to a person commenting about Dr. Horrible. Now, that message is gone. Leaving me look like I was talking about Mummy Mia.

Oh well. When life gives you lemons, throw them at children.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Ha ha :D

Sorry. I thought Dr. Horrible qualified for its own thread.

Good advice about lemons, though.
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

way too long

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I kinda saw every blockbuster aimed at my 18-35 male demo plus some this summer - I really should get like Marlboro points or something. My pithy reviews (numbered out of 5):

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Funny, but a little too long, some characters didn't pull their weight. Jonah Hill was wasted in his role. I wasn't in to either of the love interests.

Iron Man
Downey Jr. and Favreau really surprised me - top shelf. Totally did justice to the character. Nice effects. Villain build up and climax were a tad weak.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
There's a reason they christened 'nuking the fridge' the new 'jumping the shark.' Love the character, Ford did as good a job he could, but I pity the apologists that pretend this wasn't garbage. Lucas should be punched in the neck fat for ruining another franchise.

The Incredible Hulk
I was just stunned that a movie by the assistant director of Transporter 2 actually turned out well. Not perfect, but clearly superior to its predecessor. A friend of mine worked on this, and enlarged the Hulk's junk in a particular sequence in my honor, so truthfully, there was no way for me not to like it. Abomination shouldn't have been able to talk, in my personal opinion.

The Happening
NA
Hard to score this, because I saw it wanting it to be bad, and it was. Terrible premise, acting, laughable sequence after laughable sequence. So should it be highly rated, for giving me what I wanted, or low, because it was poorly made? Don't know.

Wall-E
Pixar's best since the Incredibles. Makes me want to go to Disney World and hug the Wall-E robot they have wandering about. Kinda spooky how all the other Wall-E's were dead and he ghoulishly sampled of their remains. I wonder if the film Wall-E eliminated them one by one to harvest their parts, and then blocked it out and became a simpleton. He is his own quiet 'Lenny meets Wolverine' psychotic (who I want to hug).

Wanted
Better than the comic, love that nutty Russian director and his blood spray. The fact that they all worshiped a loom was a bit much.

Hancock
I really enjoyed the first half, but the 'twist' or plot development or what have you was a complete buzzkill. Shoulda' stayed a drunk amnesiac with image issues picture, it was working great.

Hellboy II
Still love the Hellboy character, and the creature design was unbelievable, but the movies action and plot seemed wholly uninspired. Neither romance worked for me, at all. If Abe got with his Elven bride, would the brother feel it? Unsettling.

The Dark Knight
I could gush about this movie till the end of time. Ledger, amazing. The writing is better than most Batman comics. Only movie I've seen multiple times in theaters.

Pineapple Express
Sloppy, increasingly so in the second half, but still enjoyable. Not quite the 2008 Superbad I was hoping for, but something I'm glad I watched. Wasn't expecting to like James Franco, but he made the character.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: way too long

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am

StalinSays wrote: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
There's a reason they christened 'nuking the fridge' the new 'jumping the shark.' Love the character, Ford did as good a job he could, but I pity the apologists that pretend this wasn't garbage. Lucas should be punched in the neck fat for ruining another franchise.
I've not seen this yet. I just rewatched Temple of Doom, it is was a pretty crappy movie. Like, I couldn't finish rewatching it, it was so crappy.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

temple

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:44 am

I still have some love for Temple, to me its more 'campy' than 'crappy,' so the line it has to wriggle with is longer. Plenty of stuff that's dated and cheesy now, but kitschy parts to savor (monkey brains?). Crystal Skull is too new and computer assisted for camp to enter the equation. It just looks like poorly conceived, expensive dog vomit. In the days leading up, they lauded the judicious use of CG, and the very first shot was a computer generated prairie dog that looked like crap. It was galling.

If you can't slum enough to dig Temple, some of the sequences and plot elements of Crystal Skull will melt your will to jelly. AVOID.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:12 pm

I just can't take a movie where there are people screaming "Indy! HEEEELP!" constantly. That little annoying kid just ruins the movie. If I close my eyes and ears whenever he's onscreen, it's a great movie.

Or, if those sequences were rendered in a MST3K style, that would be awesome.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:38 am

Finally saw Batman. FREAKIN ROCKED. Also can't wait for Day the Earth Stood Still now. Hopefully not a huge disapointment...
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:45 am

Yeah about that...

It looks supercool, and the premise of the original is good enough for an update... But what was that line? "The Earth dies, you die. You die, the Earth survives."

Sounds ominous. Could this be another super-preachy mankind-as-eco-villain fable? Instead of Klaatu coming to warn us to abandon violence, he comes to warn us to abandon air conditioning? Galactic Civilization does not tolerate internal combustion!

Of course, that would be way stupid because the benevolent alien could just give us his energy source and then we wouldn't need to burn coal anymore, but, as Shyamalan showed us this summer, no premise is too stupid to make a movie from.

Or it might rock. It looks like it will rock. Time will tell, as always.
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

might rock

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:46 pm

I don't know, whenever any aspect of a movie hinges on Keanu Reeves being able to act, it is wide open for ruin. At least here his traditional dead-pan has context - he is possessed by an alien. Watch out for the robot ending up with more gripping emotion.

Now Watchmen, there is the movie to skip a heartbeat over.

Mr. Tweedy

Re: might rock

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm

StalinSays wrote:I don't know, whenever any aspect of a movie hinges on Keanu Reeves being able to act, it is wide open for ruin. At least here his traditional dead-pan has context - he is possessed by an alien. Watch out for the robot ending up with more gripping emotion.
Well, I read that the director wanted him for his ability to "portray a lack of humanity," so he should be the ideal man for the part.
StalinSays wrote: Now Watchmen, there is the movie to skip a heartbeat over.
Meh. That looks like just another one of those bad things happening to bad people dramas that are so mysteriously popular. Get a bunch of characters who are all jerks and watch them screw each other in all manner of ways for two hours, at the end of which all of them are either dead or very, very sad. The end. Give the jerks superpowers and that's what Watchmen looked like to me (from the trailers at least, and my Wikipedia skimming).
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: might rock

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Well, I read that the director wanted him for his ability to "portray a lack of humanity," so he should be the ideal man for the part.
Inspired casting then - I'll reserve judgment.
Mr. Tweedy wrote:Meh. That looks like just another one of those bad things happening to bad people dramas that are so mysteriously popular.
It's the poster child for cynical world outlooks, you are 100% correct there. It has an extremely condemning view of humanity. If you can't get down with downers, then avoid completely. Adapted correctly though, it would be a stunner. The comic it bursts from is legitimately the best that exists - its visualized prose, layered with metaphor, and recognized as such. The superheroes in it are not super for super's sake - it is essential to the narrative. It has the potential for an 'end all, be all' Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Terminator 2 level of timelessness.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Speaking of good comics, I recent "read" The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

It's a graphic novel in the most literal sense: There's not a single word in it. Quite good. My eyes actually got a little moist over it. My daughter has asked for me to "read" it three times to her so far (I just make up narration). I'll say this: Any work that can be sincerely enjoyed by both a 2 year old girl and a 25 year old man must be pretty damn good.

(Kiki's Delivery Service is another mutual favorite.)
Advertise in this space!

andyd273

Post by andyd273 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:13 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:My favorite was always "The Magician's Nephew." Probably because it had a more sci-fi feel to it. The characters hop in and out of four different universes, making all sorts of discoveries about the nature of reality as they go. It was more of a "big ideas" book with almost no sword and sorcery. I also loved how it fleshed out some of the other characters in the series, especially the White Witch. Her character is really kind of flat unless you know her back-story.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite.
Just the idea of how big the world is, and how they get to explore and find all these strange and interesting islands. It has more of the epic feel.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 pm

Wall-E finally opens here in Australia tomorrow. I wouldn't normally bother, but because of the reviews here I'll make sure I get to see it soon. That has to be one of the big advantages of having kids---you get to see 'family' movies without looking either strange or pervy.

The kids hired 'Nim's Island' tonight. It looked like a nice piece of pre-adolescent fluff, but it turned out to be a really good story. Next time anyone's babysitting an eleven year old girl, you could do worse than checking this one out.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:35 am

(WARNING: this post contains praise and adulation of an overly exuberant nature. Please do not read if you are given to bouts of cynicism!)

Well, I just got home from the cinema after watching WALL-E, and all I can say is... HAWT DAYAM!

Seriously, that is easily the best movie I've seen all year, beating out even the Dark Knight. Even TV seems to be getting better: has Hollywood finally got itself a QA department or something?

Anyway, I was very impressed. I'd love to have been at the pitch meeting when the execs looked at the script and realised there wasn't any dialogue for the first thirty seven pages. And then it was no more than than the same two words repeated several times.

Ballsy, to say the least. That just shouldn't have worked, but the guys at Pixar are clearly magicians. That was some of the most incredible acting I've seen---and it came from pictures of robots.

Oh, and the breadth of imagination and detail that went into the worlds in the story is unbelievable. When I see something like that I am awestruck by what the human imagination can do when it wants to.

You might have guessed---I liked the movie. This is the sort of movie that must give studio execs nightmares: how can anyone---Pixar included---top this?
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Hee hee.. I can't wait 'til it comes out on DVD. I really want to see it again.

I love how Eve, when in sleep mode, looks exactly like an iMac. Pulsing heartbeat light and everything. And the apple bootup sound when Wall-E reboots was a clever touch.

But my my most boisterous laugh was when Wall-E was trying to put away the Spork.

But LOL's aside, it was one of the best pieces of fiction I've seen in theatres in a while. Damn good writing, and great connection to the characters.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Gah. I've forgotten so many of the cool little details since I saw it in the theatre several months back. I'll be buying it on DVD when it shows up, though, fo sho.
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

pixar

Post by StalinSays » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Yeh, a must buy DVD to be sure. Outside of the Incredibles, Pixar's best (though a rewatch or two on DVD might tip that scale). They really are solidifying themselves as heir apparent to the Disney creative legacy, and I would say they're outdoing the 2d classics one by one with their recent string. It's a shame their slate has them descending in to sequel'itis (Cars 2?).

Disney, via Ain't It Cool News - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36330

---

UP (Domestic Release Date: May 29th, 2009, Disney Digital 3-D™)
Director: Pete Docter

From the Academy Award®-nominated team of director Pete Docter (“Monsters, Inc.”) and co-director Bob Peterson comes “Up,” a comedic adventure taking off (and lifting spirits) in summer 2009. Carl Fredricksen spent his entire life dreaming of exploring the globe and experiencing life to its fullest. But at age 78, life seems to have passed him by, until a twist of fate (and a persistent 8-year old Wilderness Explorer named Russell) gives him a new lease on life. “Up” takes audiences on a thrilling journey where the unlikely pair encounter wild terrain, unexpected villains and jungle creatures. When seeking adventure next summer – look “Up.”

--

TOY STORY 3 (Domestic Release Date: June 18th, 2010, Disney Digital 3-D™)
Director: Lee Unkrich

The creators of the beloved “Toy Story” films re-open the toy box and bring moviegoers back to the delightful world of Woody, Buzz and our favorite gang of toy characters in “Toy Story 3.” Lee Unkrich (co-director of “Toy Story 2” and “Finding Nemo”) directs this highly anticipated film, and Michael Arndt, the Academy Award®-winning screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine,” brings his unique talents and comedic sensibilities to the proceedings.

--

NEWT (Domestic Release Date: Summer 2011, Disney Digital 3-D™)
Director: Gary Rydstrom

What happens when the last remaining male and female blue-footed newts on the planet are forced together by science to save the species, and they can’t stand each other? That's the problem facing Newt and Brooke, heroes of ”newt,” the Pixar film by seven-time Academy Award® winner for sound Gary Rydstrom, and director of Pixar's Oscar nominated short, "Lifted." Newt and Brooke embark on a perilous, unpredictable adventure and discover that finding a mate never goes as planned, even when you only have one choice. Love, it turns out, is not a science.

THE BEAR AND THE BOW
(Domestic Release Date: Christmas 2011, Disney Digital 3-D™)
Director: Brenda Chapman

A rugged and mythic Scotland is the setting for Pixar’s action-adventure "The Bear and the Bow.” The impetuous, tangle-haired Merida , though a daughter of royalty, would prefer to make her mark as a great archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Merida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father’s kingdom and her mother’s life. Merida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark, ancient curse to set things right. Director Brenda Chapman (“The Prince of Egypt,” “The Lion King”) and the storytelling wizards of Pixar conjure humor, fantasy and excitement in this rich Highland tale.

CARS 2 (Domestic Release Date: Summer 2012, Disney Digital 3-D™)
Pixar Animation Studios
Director: Brad Lewis

All the world’s a racetrack as racing superstar Lightning McQueen zooms back into action, with his best friend Mater in tow, to take on the globe’s fastest and finest in this thrilling high-octane new installment of the “Cars” saga. Mater and McQueen will need their passports as they find themselves in a new world of intrigue, thrills and fast-paced comedic escapades around the globe. “Cars 2” is being directed by Brad Lewis, producer of the Oscar®-winning film “Ratatouille.”