So I was listening to the worm within today...

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
delfedd

So I was listening to the worm within today...

Post by delfedd » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:48 am

AND THEN FOUND OUT I HAVE TAPEWORM!

In the same way as the main character did, coincidentally. Reading that story for the first time made me a "poo-checker," so seriously, thank you Drabblecast. Without you I would be sleeping soundly with worms in my intestines.

Instead, i'm watching lord of the rings. Which is a good investment of my time.

This is in the wrong section, I know.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 am

Totally the right section, imo.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

cammoblammo

Re: So I was listening to the worm within today...

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:53 am

Any chance of a photo?

If there is, please don't post it.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:23 pm

are you for real??? You may wanna leave the lil feller in there (see Drabblenews this week)
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Weinstock's article in the Times on I.B.S. got me to thinking about the fact that parasitic critters who have evolved with you shouldn't be so cavalierly disposed of.

Think of your tapeworm as a kind of Rodney King, asking, "Can't we all just get along?"

The time may have come to reconsider our paternalistic prejudices aginst the hard-working, impoverished life forms from underdeveloped countries who are merely seeking a better future for their children. Remember, every one of us was once a parasite, giving our maternal hosts overwhelming compulsions for mashed-potatoe-and-pickle ice cream.

The Drabblecast and its members would be natural leaders for this movement toward tolerance, acceptance and even promotion of biodiversity. Indeed, if not us, then whom?

The job of the parasite is work that no one else wants to do, and that's a fact, acting as life's little gardeners, producing mulch from our munchies. They live in overcrowded conditions and never learn our language, in an underground economy, from which they cry out for recognition. Estimates are that you may have up to 20 million residing in you right now. It is impossible to know.

If we're serious about our morality, wouldn't we need to do unto them as we would have them do unto us? I believe we need to offer them a pathway to citizenship. Not amnesty. Of course, this is you we're talking about...
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 pm

:D :D :D

Wow, Strawman, that is, like, the 18th quoteworthy quote I've read from you.

You, sir, are full of wit.

Are you running for President? I know almost nothing about you, but it seems highly unlikely that you'd be more evil than any of the better known choices, and your speeches would almost certainly be more entertaining.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Gracias, Mr. Tweedy, we appreciate your vote. You can send your donation to our current campaign HQ, in Bob Barr's upper intestinal tract. If he makes it, we ride in on his coattails!
Viva Montezuma!

Spoiler:

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 pm

normsherman wrote:are you for real??? You may wanna leave the lil feller in there (see Drabblenews this week)
It's true. Worms can do so much for a man. Just make sure you keep your friends away from your pelvic splanchnic ganglion.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:19 am

Well, good news, turns out it wasn't tapeworm. Instead, it's a colony of nasty critters called pinworms. They thrive mostly in children, so how it was passed to me is beyond me, although perhaps my time in an elementary school last month helped.

Pinworms live mostly in your upper intestine, however at night they move "downstairs" to lay eggs. And while the speech on tolerance to our parasites is very moving and all, i haven't been able to get over the fact that all night for the last three days I've felt them squirming down there, then in the morning squirming back up.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:53 am

wow. write a diary. I'm grossed out and jealous at the same time.
"Give us all some Jelly"

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 pm

delfedd wrote:And while the speech on tolerance to our parasites is very moving and all, i haven't been able to get over the fact that all night for the last three days I've felt them squirming down there, then in the morning squirming back up.
delfedd, I feel with you. No, really... After those nice descriptions I can really FEEL worms crawling... Time to give myself a poo-check, you never know what you might find.
So, you had me wondering: what does a poo-check entail? Spread your legs and point a mirror? Or is it digging in the bowl after you're done? I mean, you have to check around all the toilet paper.

Excuse my grossness, but while we're on the subject, I wanna know everything! Are all worms white? If I were I worm, I'd be brown.... Nobody would know they'd have a whole family of worms in their poops.
And do they have eyes? It would extra gross me out if I discovered to have a brown worm family looking at me from the toilet.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Poo checks entail using the restroom then looking at your... matter. If you haven't read it already, take a look at the worm within.

The way I discovered the pinworms is that one particularly large piece had what looked like hundreds of tiny scillia all waving around. At first I was concerned that my poo was alive, and then i remembered that it was 1 am and I wasn't thinking logically.

And I already got a prescription to kill the worms off. Essentially what it is is a low grade poison that your body has trouble digesting. It travels all the way throughout the system, the pinworms feed on it and die. Hopefully this'll be the end of it, but it's possible that I'm going to have to take the second pill.

After reading more about pinworms, it turns out that they have a lot more in common with "Eggs" than "the worm within." The Pinworms cause your anus to itch, and the invisible pinworm eggs come off under your fingernails. Then, whatever you touch becomes infected, as pinworm eggs can remain inactive for up to three weeks.

In short, yes I am planning on burning all my clothes.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Or you could fry up some ham and make Eggs Benedict. Mmmmm.

Spoiler:

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:47 pm

strawman wrote:Or you could fry up some ham and make Eggs Benedict. Mmmmm.
Or make the sandwich cheese and eggs that I'm eating now. I need to remind myself not to scratch my anus now. Wash the hands first.

delfedd, good luck on killing the worms within, hopefully you can avoid The Second Pill ! Also, have fun buying new clothes...
Worms! What a wonderful excuse to buy new clothes!!! (hey, I'm a girl, any excuse for buying new clothes is welcome)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:36 am

My wife (Mrs. Tweedy) informs me that the easiest way to check for pin worms is take a piece of clear Scotch tape and stick it to that surface where the sun is said to never cast its rays. In the morning, the worm eggs will be stuck to the tape. You can then use this tape to wrap birthday presents for people you dislike.

I also read that the male pinworm dies after mating. This explains why female pinworms are eager mate with jerks.

My wife informs me that that last joke was not funny. Ah well. I tried. E for effort, eh? :roll:
Advertise in this space!

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 am

Interesting. I'll try that next week and again the week after. Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted.