Help Mr. Tweedy think of a Cool Name

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
Mr. Tweedy

Help Mr. Tweedy think of a Cool Name

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey, all you creative, savvy folks.

In the interest of furthering the arts (and getting the heck out of this crappy job), I've decided to give a go at starting my own tiny, independent company. This company will design ambiguous media–web sites, photography, graphic design, brochures, DVDs, billboards, etc.–basically anything visual. I hope to eventually, one glorious day, to have enough money/time to pursue my own original IPs and make movies and video games. (A guy can dream, eh?)

I need a name for my company. I'm having a darn hard time thinking of anything. The only idea I've come up with thus far that I think might actually work is "Free Mode," but I'm not sure I like that.

So, suggestions anyone? I'm looking for serious suggestions only, but, knowing you guys, I expect I'll get some that are completely off-the-wall, revolting, and/or are just cruel insults to destroy my fragile self-esteem. :cry:
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Mr. Tweedy:
I thought maybe something like In Medias Res might be interesting, but then it occured that a too-clever name could actually be a bit of a distraction, whereas an attention-grabbing visual would serve as an example of what your clients might expect to get from your creative energies. So how about doing a really creative, compelling graphic, and calling yourself "Your Name Here"? That way, your company name serves as a marketing tool. Plus, all the little free samples marked Your Name Here you could use for free advertising.

Workers of the world, incorporate!

Good luck!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:34 am

My dad suggested the name "Hugo Ink." Sort of clever... (My last name is "Hugo.")
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:59 am

Hmm...

Placentabulous Designs *logo surrouded in thin shimmering amniotic lining*

Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc *mandatory vuglar self-esteem bruising suggestion*

Sounds like the breadth of what you can do is what you should market: That you can design anything from websites to wedding albums to tatoos on nasty goth chicks armpits.

I'd think down the route (but not these specifically) of:
Anything Goes Media and Design
The Design Doctor
Mr. Media
Art a la carte
Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc.

Anything that says I can do it all and I'm a fun guy to work with.
"Give us all some Jelly"

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:46 am

How about, Designs t'Hugo pronounced, Designs to go.

Actually, I prefer Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc, but I'm sure there would be reasons not to. Still, I'd buy the trademark, just in case.

Does your wife have any power of veto?

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:19 pm

cammoblammo wrote:How about, Designs t'Hugo pronounced, Designs to go.

Actually, I prefer Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc, but I'm sure there would be reasons not to. Still, I'd buy the trademark, just in case.

Does your wife have any power of veto?
Don't see how Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc can be improved on, unless you can incorporate the graphics as well. But since your wife will probably object to the word "Girlie", I suggest changing "Designs t'Hugo" to "Designs d'Hugo", and when people ask you how it's pronounced, tell them "Poop Tweedy Girlie Fart Inc".

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:09 pm

cammoblammo wrote:How about, Designs t'Hugo pronounced, Designs to go.
You just channeled all the pain of all bad jokes ever made about my name. "You go Hugo. Ha ha ha!" times a million. Everything always thought that was so clever. "Hugo spewgo. He haw haw!" "Hugo drives a Yugo. Yuck yuck!" "Hey, Hugo Boss! Hehe."

I hate you.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Well, if you got it, flaunt it!

You should be proud to have a name that you can actually do something with.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:34 pm

I have only one suggestion, really. Make it a name easy to spell and recognize.

My business partner and I named our business Steradian Technologies. This is a great clever reference to a unit of measurement used in our IR emitters. Very high-brow and all that.

You don't know how many times I have to spell it to people.

I have vowed that my next company will be called Bob Industries, or something similar.

Your domain name is equally important. While my main site is Steradiantech.com, I've had to register golasertag.com and golazertag.com just to have a website I can verbally tell someone. They can remember and spell golasertag.com, there ain't a chance in hell they'll succeed with steradiantech.com.

So while funny, I highly suggest staying away from silent letters like t'Hugo.

Are you setting up a LLC or doing a sole proprietorship?

Congratulations on the big jump. It's scary, but you can't help but learn something from the experience.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Just chiming in

All About Design

All About Graphics

Yeah, they are not sexy, but if nothing else it puts your name in the first column in the appropriate phone book category. And yes marketing managers such as myself still use the phone book.

And keep it professional - no joke names
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:05 pm

A story along those lines (while we're waiting for episode 74 to appear?)

Bridget Bardot's boyfriend had her initials tattoed to his backside to prove his love for her. But when he showed her what he had done, she was very upset, and asked, "Who's Bob?!"

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Are you setting up a LLC or doing a sole proprietorship?

Congratulations on the big jump. It's scary, but you can't help but learn something from the experience.
Actually, I have a lot to learn about the legal aspects. Any advice is appreciated. I understand that our benevolent government comes and throws a whole dump-truck full of wet blankets on you the moment you start doing anything objectively productive?

I, singularly, will be the whole business to start, and I'll be starting in my home using all my own stuff, no investors, no debt. I'd prefer to retain sole boss-ship after it's grown into a billion-dollar studio (which I calculate should take about 8 weeks). What do I have to do to set that up?*

*Aside from actually providing the services and collecting payments. I understand how to do that pretty well. It's the legalities (LLC?) of which I'm shamefully ignorant.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:45 am

An LLC is a Limited Liability Corporation. The purpose of it is simple:
If somebody sues your company (LLC) and wins, they cannot collect any money from you (Mr. Tweedy). Only the LLC's assets are collectable.

This is called the corporate shield. The corporate shield is pierced if you do not act like a corporation. If you buy a new TV with the LLC checkbook, if you do business emails from your home email account, if you do not keep your finances completely separate, then a judge would not see you as an LLC, and any protection is out the window.

An LLC costs about $1000 in lawyer fees to set up.

With what you describe, I personally would start as a sole proprietorship, which simply requires a new form or two in your taxes, and lets you mix work and home. If you start getting a few employees, and maybe a business partner, move up to an LLC taxed as a partnership (simplest taxes). As you get to 5+ employees, move to an LLC taxed as an S-corp, and you can start taking dividends from the company tax free, but you'll need an accountant to do the taxes.

The legal limit to a LLC is 50 employees. Above which you must become incorporated as a C-corp, which is what the big boys are. The government really starts to double-tax you then.

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:20 pm

This one should end the discussion and comes courtesy of Mr. Garrison from South Park.

Shitty Shitty Fag Fag Designs
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

How about..

Post by StalinSays » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Twee'dia?

Mr. Tweedy

Re: How about..

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 am

StalinSays wrote:Twee'dia?
I'd considers "Mr. Tweedy's House of Awesome", but I didn't think it sounded very professional.
Advertise in this space!

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I'd considers "Mr. Tweedy's House of Awesome", but I didn't think it sounded very professional.
If it fits your character and if it fits the way you handle your business, just do it!
Names with some humor in it reflect a business that doesn't take itself too serious all the time. I like that. There are way too many businesses (and people) who take themselves too serious. Sprinkle some humor in the name and get customers you can work with and who understand your creativity.

Doesn't this sound cool on the phone: "Mr. Tweedy's House of Awesome. This is Anne, how may I help you?"

Thinking up names is sooooo hard! I've been thinking about a cool name for a podcast, it's even hunting me in my dreams.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:00 pm

zZzacha wrote: Thinking up names is sooooo hard! I've been thinking about a cool name for a podcast, it's even hunting me in my dreams.
Love and Zombies? How about Little Bunny's Pill? Bunny Rabbit's Funny Habit? What's your podcast about?
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
zZzacha wrote: Thinking up names is sooooo hard! I've been thinking about a cool name for a podcast, it's even hunting me in my dreams.
Love and Zombies? How about Little Bunny's Pill? Bunny Rabbit's Funny Habit? What's your podcast about?
Definitely Little Bunny's Pill!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

names

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Zomboni, with a distinctive cartoon logo of a headless zombie driving a Zamboni.

As you can tell, I prefer the nonsensical approach. If you've got good work, and your name sticks in a client's head, that's all it takes.

I work for a place called 'Counterpoint Solutions,' formerly 'Freshground Software' - you can imagine I totally pine for a company name with some zest.