Help Mr. Tweedy think of a Cool Name

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 am

Hey, slick trick dick! Very nice! I like that you scale the whole thing to the window size.
The only thing that didn't work for me, is in an info pane, you click to scroll down. But if you click and hold, it doesn't keep scrolling, which forces you to grab the slider. Safari 3.

Congrads!
Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 am

You're actually the first person to notice that scaling trick for which I labored so very long and hard. I thought it was the coolest feature ever, and, so far as I know, it's unique. But nobody noticed it unless I pointed it out to them, and then they were like "oh, um, I guess that's interesting." Philistines. I'm glad, you, sir, have an appreciation for the arts*. Of course, it was so flippin' hard to do that I totally understand why no one else would ever have bothered, but still.

Hmm... I hadn't thought to address that issue, Tom. I always use the scroll-bar, so I didn't even notice that particular deficiency. It might actually be pretty hard to fix... I'd probably have to add a "timer" object... Well, challenge is good, eh? :wink:

*Not that you need to prove it. You are posting on the Drabblecast forum, after all. A level of sophistication is implied. 8)
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 am

I don't question what Tom says, I just do it.
This weekend I ended up with a Camero, a tattoo of a pteradactyle holding a Mexican flag and clymidia.
I'm not particularly happy with the tattoo, but like I said, I don't question it.
"Give us all some Jelly"

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:49 am

normsherman wrote: This weekend I ended up with a Camero, a tattoo of a pteradactyle holding a Mexican flag and clymidia.
Like Mr Tweedy said, a level of sophistication is implied.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Hmm... I just heard that my old job just laid off a bunch of people this week, one of them a holder of my old job title. Maybe the timing of my quitting was felicitous...

I guess they'd sucked all the souls they could hold for the moment. :twisted:
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:43 pm

At least you're over it.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:07 am

Well, for anybody who's been holding their breath (no one, since such persons would by now have died), I've finally gotten about, um, maybe a third of my site up. I'd appreciate any harsh and mocking criticism that could help me refine my design, but keep in mind it is still pre-alpha... Well, I guess it's actually in beta, since y'all can see it, but I'm still adding stuff... Whatever.

:shock:

There is some practical help I could use too: Does anyone know why my site doesn't show up on Google? Google "Free Mode Media" and this thread shows up, but my actual site doesn't. (The irony!) I submitted the URL to Google a couple of days ago and I've got keyword and description tags in the code, but no dice. Anybody have a gues what the problem might be?
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 am

Very nice, Josh. It's a very pleasing site. I'm impressed with your photographs. Overall, the quality of the website is very, very good.

On to the constructive criticism you were begging for- I'd drop the floating layer in your flash menu, it makes the navigation jerky and slow at times. And I don't think it really adds anything. I'd prefer a clean white menu which is responsive than that extra drifting layer. (I'm on a iMac intel core Duo w/Safari3) Remember that even tho most people don't know it, they much prefer a responsive site than a flashy site.

I'd recommend having a non-flash version which people can see before they download the flash plugin. A percentage of your viewing audience may not have flash enabled, and the iPhone won't do it at all. It's not that hard to have a PNG-based version of your site.

Again, great job!

Now, onto google. To learn why you are not listed yet, google "google sandbox". Google penalizes you for being new. As anoying as it is, it really, really helps cut down on bad websites. I'll start linking to you from a website or two, which might help. The standard sandbox time (last I checked) was 3 months.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:07 am

By "floating layer," do you mean the moving text or the falling snow? It's the snow that really sucks up the 'ol clock cycles, but I'd hate to drop that. I wish there were some way to tell if a user's computer is fast or slow and adjust accordingly.

A non-Flash version is something I'll probably chip away at once I've got everything else working.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:26 pm

I meant the snow. In my humble opinion, I don't think it buys you much. My personal tastes lead to clean rather than cluttered. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool, but I'd take the speediness over the cool factor.

And remember, my opinion is only worth the paper it's written on. The only success I found in business is to trust my own feelings, I'd recommend you do the same.

Er, that is, your feelings, not mine.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:28 pm

But your opinion isn't written on paper...

*sound of head exploding*

I know: I'll just add a little button that turns the snow off and on. People with slow computers can just turn it off.
Advertise in this space!

planish

Post by planish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:14 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:There is some practical help I could use too: Does anyone know why my site doesn't show up on Google? Google "Free Mode Media" and this thread shows up, but my actual site doesn't. (The irony!) I submitted the URL to Google a couple of days ago and I've got keyword and description tags in the code, but no dice. Anybody have a gues what the problem might be?
My understanding is that Google long ago put any content that is only in the meta tags (keywords, description, etc.) waaaaay down at the bottom in the page ranking algorithm, due to keyword spamming abuse. They also ignore text that is, say, white-on-white, again due to "search engine optimization" abuse.

If it ain't visible as text (and not just as images of text), it doesn't count. Oh - and Google doesn't spider content inside of Shockwave or Flash things.

You don't even have "Free Mode Media" in the page title. That would be a good place to start.

[later] Oh. Google "free mode" and it's the third hit on the first page. I didn't even need to wrap quotes around it.
And "free mode media" now is the first hit.
So I guess all is well now.

And this was an old thread. :oops:

planish

Post by planish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:29 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I meant the snow. In my humble opinion, I don't think it buys you much. My personal tastes lead to clean rather than cluttered. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool, but I'd take the speediness over the cool factor.
My motto is "just because you can doesn't mean you should". But if you want to show that you can, I'd confine the fancy stuff to portfolios or galleries within a more vanilla navigation system.

Hence the "retro web '95" look I've been gradually changing my site to - http://www.northernelectric.ca/

Look at Sir Tim's official site.