The R-Word

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:24 pm

What does the following say to you about the way your brain interprets the experience of your senses?

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Cool. Is there a name to that phenomenon?

Kind of reminds me of pareidolia. That's the phenomenon where your brain takes random or images or sounds and interprets them as something legitimate. Examples include: the man in the moon, mother Theresa's face in a cinnamon roll, ghosts "speaking" on the ghost hunter's show. But the words aren't random in the example aren't random.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 pm

deflective wrote:this is something i've given a fair amount of personal thought to. i break knowledge into four levels of certainty and distinguish them as follows:

1) to know: information that's immediately reported by the senses. i know that my computer screen is glowing right now and that i'm wearing clothes. these things are reported by my senses.

2) to understand: information that's deducible from the senses & natural laws. i understand that electricity flows into my house otherwise the computer wouldn't function.

3) to believe: knowledge & understanding of the world is extrapolated to make predictions. it is often tied to experience. i believe that i am having a virtual conversation with several people. there's no actual proof of this but it's extremely unlikely that i'm talking to a sophisticated ai or a single person with multiple accounts. it's good to remind ourselves that beliefs will consistently contain wrong assumptions.

4) to have faith: taking something to be true without a solid grounding in knowledge & logic. i have faith that my senses show me the real world.

these are the definitions that i use when thinking about philosophical matters. they aren't official definitions and it's a good thing that you made sure we understand each other.
Well, those words their own meanings outside of your scheme, but the numbering system is okay.

I disagree with your statement that it is a rational decision to believe that what you perceive is real: The decision is neither rational or irrational. You cannot obtain any evidence as to whether or not the things you perceive are real, hence reason has no data with which to operate. It is merely necessary that you accept the reality of your perceptions: If you don't you can't do anything, so you really don't have any choice. You have to believe it or else forfeit all interaction with the universe (i.e. die).

I came up with my own way of splitting up the mind that kind of goes sideways to yours. As near as I can figure, a mind has three parts: Knowledge, reason and faith.

Knowledge is what you know, the facts you've accumulated in your life. Reason is the computational part of the mind which draws information from the other two and analyzes and interprets it. Faith is where each of us has a little model of the universe running in sympathy with the actual universe.

I’m low on time, so I can’t go into much explanation of that right now, but when those three parts are all synchronized and talking to each other, that’s when we get wisdom and insight, but when the communication is interrupted or one part is underutilized, that’s when we get stupidity and fanaticism.

Bleh. Everyone in my house is sick today. I get to be nurse.
Advertise in this space!

deflective

Post by deflective » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 am

strawman wrote:What does the following say to you about the way your brain interprets the experience of your senses?

... The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...
little if anything.

it says something about the way that we decipher written script but nothing about sense interpretation. we can see that the words are scrambled, it isn't indistinguishable from standard engish.