Why I Love the Military Industrial Complex!

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Why I Love the Military Industrial Complex!

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:59 am

They're one step closer to making my superlaser.

Just a part of process involves an electron beam that can melt 200 feet of steel per second. ♥♥♥ :mrgreen: ♥♥♥ (Where's that "love" smiley?)

That's today people! With just a few more of your tax dollars, they'll get into the MegaWatt class.

Mr. Tweedy

Re: Why I Love the Military Industrial Complex!

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 am

This gun will shoot through anything. You are helpless! Now hold still for 5 minutes while I aim it at you.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:This gun will shoot through anything. You are helpless! Now hold still for 5 minutes while I aim it at you.
That's not a bug, Mr. Tweedy, it, good sir, is a feature.

After all, the makers of "Super-Terra-Zapp-9000" assume you will already have your nemesis safely secured, splayed spread eagle on, oh let's say, a giant block of gold.

Without this 5 minute aiming interval allows you would not have the time to taunt your adversary, and end up with a pithy "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." (you know you've been waiting YEARS to lay that baby on him...)

You should have a good 3 minutes to saunter off and leave him unattended, safe in the knowledge that "Super-Terra-Zapp-9000" will cleave him asunder. (The makers of "Super-Terra-Zapp-9000" take no responsibility for any failure of the users restraining devices during the time that you are off mixing up victory Daiquiri's.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 am

That's the beauty of it. As a free-electron laser, it will probably be possible to aim it with no moving parts -- at relativistic speeds.

Mock all you want, but soon the Chinese will have this technology, courtesy of even more campaign contributions. And then you'll all have to wait in line at Walmart to buy it! (Or your corpse will be be stuck in some reeducation camp... One of those. :? )

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

It would be awesome it if they would mount it on their 300 mph choo choo for a sequel of Taking of Pelham 123
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm

n addition, according to Navy officials, the FEL laser can perform at different wavelengths,
While I admit scientists are the right people do develop weapons, they need to leave the naming to others. Especially when they're one letter away from giving a death-dealing gun a truly ominous title and they don't go for it.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 am

Are there any good countermeasures to lasers? It has occurred to me that a cloud of powdered glass might effectively disperse the energy.

?
Advertise in this space!

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:46 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Are there any good countermeasures to lasers? It has occurred to me that a cloud of powdered glass might effectively disperse the energy.

?
Or turn itnto 10,00 mini lasers! Mwahahahahaha!

Ahem. Well my friend's Luke and Han claim half squatting behind a white bulkhead works fine. Even if the laser is only fired from 6 feet away.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:59 am

Jeez, we shouldn't build or use guns because they don't kill perfectly every time. :roll:

There are counter-measures for everything. But how are you going to get enough glass deployed? The deploying missile is shot down by laser blasts. Our flyboys (or hunter-killer drones) kill any planes, balloons, and whatnot long before they become a factor.

An ordinary water cloud may present challenges to the beam, but nature supplies those better than your troops can.

Only when we get it above the Megawatt range, and deploy it to my orbital command base, will it become the perfect weapon! :twisted:

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:07 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Are there any good countermeasures to lasers?
The timing on this is uncanny: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12453893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:25 am

Mikes wrote:
Mr. Tweedy wrote:Are there any good countermeasures to lasers?
The timing on this is uncanny: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12453893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's actually, pretty lame. It's roughly the same as a 20 dB optical notch-filter, the likes of which you'll will find occasionally in the innerwebz or telecom infrastructures. But, If it really is mostly silicone and can eventually be made on a chip, then it might be worth a few royalty dollars.

I'm guessing it's near grant-renewal time? :)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 am

I saw that somewhere. The concept could be armorized, I suppose.

I was actually thinking of the glass dust more in the context of space warfare. I was trying to think of something that could thwart a laser but was realistic, as opposed to magical force fields. I thought of glass dust: Put up a wall of it between yourself an the attacking ship, vastly decreasing the effectiveness of his long-range weapons. If you need to assault a fortified position, shoot rockets full of the stuff out ahead of you, preventing the enemy's defenses from picking you off a thousand miles out. Seems like it would work.
Advertise in this space!

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 am

The problem with that defense in space warfare would be distance though, I think. When battle fields would be measured in the millions of kilometres you'd need a really big field of glass to stop the enemy just moving to another point before firing. Plus when the dust is 'deployed' there's no friction to stop it continually spreading outwards until it's useless.

Of course i'm not a physicist. but maybe a big mirror.....

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 am

Did we read the same articles?
The laser is for naval deployment.
The "anti-laser" has no military application, as clearly stated in that inaccurate, puff piece.

Glass dust in space is not going to get you much, AND it would be more expensive and less effective than plain old water.

Neither defense would even stop the pilot laser of this weapon (in space). If you can make a laser effective in the atmosphere, space is a breeze (not counting the massive power plant).

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Neither defense would even stop the pilot laser of this weapon (in space). If you can make a laser effective in the atmosphere, space is a breeze (not counting the massive power plant).
Not so: Atmosphere is smooth. Light travels straight through it. The virtue of an optical substance is that it scatters the light, not that it blocks it. We aren't stopping the laser, just making it less lasery. The optical chaff blurs the laser beam out into something our armor can safely absorb, turns the razor edge into a club.

At least, that's how it looks inside my head. (Zipzap! Kapow!)
Advertise in this space!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Not so: Atmosphere is smooth. Light travels straight through it. The virtue of an optical substance is that it scatters the light, not that it blocks it. We aren't stopping the laser, just making it less lasery. The optical chaff blurs the laser beam out into something our armor can safely absorb, turns the razor edge into a club.
That's about as absurd a notion as one could get on the subject. Ever see a star twinkle? Lights refract above a campfire? Pavement that looks wet in summer but isn't? Wonder why you can see blue sky, or even light at all when the sun is below the horizon?

Anyone with even high-school physics-knowledge knows that light travels anything but straight in the atmosphere (even when it is traveling "straight"). Worse: pump any power into a beam and the atmosphere ionizes -- forming a plasma that sucks the power right out of your beam.

We could have effective laser weapons today for shipboard or even truck-mounted use, if we lived in a vacuum**. We've got enough power for that.
Any laser system that could handle the atmospheric-interference gorilla would scarcely be slowed by chaff, any more than an artillery shell would be -- even if you could keep chaff where you needed it (you can't).

There are counter measures, chaff ain't one.

But cool sound effects.

**For more than just blinding or target designation.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 am

On a side note, if we ever go to interstellar war I'm on ASID's side.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 pm

The heck with silicone chaff. I got me a 6" blanket of Owens Corning R22 duct-taped on my spaceship.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Uh, yes. I'm well aware of the optical properties of air.

"Ever see a star twinkle? Lights refract above a campfire? Pavement that looks wet in summer but isn't? Wonder why you can see blue sky, or even light at all when the sun is below the horizon?"

In each of those examples light is moving between atmospheric regions with different densities, which have different refractive properties. In general, light moves in a straight line through an atmosphere. You don't see headlights twinkling on the highway or the light from your monitor breaking into the spectrum on its way to your eyes. This is because in general there are no extreme differences in density between regions of an atmosphere. Light only bends when it transitions between mediums; there is no medium that bends light in and of itself.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Whilst we Muse about the best way to defend against these bad boys, lets never forget what constitutes the best defense and just make the f***ers bigger.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.