Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction

Reaction:

Creepy.
10%
Awesome.
30%
Stupid.
No votes
You know, those three don't necessarily contradict each other.
60%

Total votes: 10

Mr. Tweedy

You knew this was coming.

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXhpe7ZURc

This robot is, apparently, quite real. It can walk around, talk, gesture, respond to verbal commands and make a variety of facial expressions. Physically it is (strangely enough) almost the exact dimensions of Mrs. Tweedy.

According to the report on Breitbart, the first "real world" use of this particular robot will be as a model in an upcoming Japanese fashion show. This will be extremely funny for one of two reasons:

1.) LOL funny when the robot trips and falls off the stage or

2.) Ironic sneer funny as the robot makes an unintentional commentary on the fakeness and superficiality of the whole modeling scene.*

One thing we can all agree on: The world would be a more boring place without Japan.

*It's a long-standing prediction of mine that robots and/or computer programs will soon replace real females in any job where "beauty" is a qualification. Why stop at breast implants when the whole woman can be made of silicon?
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

hurray!

Post by StalinSays » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:03 pm

She's so graceful. Maybe I can set my Roomba up on a blind date...

Japanese women need to dial up the feminine wiles or something: between this bizarre masculine urge to invent robo'placements, and the plummeting birth rate (http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=31709), I have my questions.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Plummeting birthrate happens in every culture that dissociates sex and procreation. Take all of Europe as an example, or Russia, or Japan, or America (sans immigration). When you make sex its own thing, unconnected to family, then families get smaller. It's logical: You're using the baby-making instincts for things that don't lead to babies.

In the immortal words of Dogbert, "when virtual reality gets cheaper than dating, society is doomed."

But then one could argue that dissociation arises because of smaller families...

Anyway, the real point is you can't blame Japanese chicks for being un-hot. That's just not right. Plus, my cousin is Japanese: If you dis her I'll be chivalrously obligated to give you a sound beat-down (either with my knuckles or in a poetry slam, depending on how big you are).
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

beasty

Post by StalinSays » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:36 am

6'4" - onward to the coffee house!

I say 'wiles' to mock the culture, not the lovely ladies themselves. Something drives Nippon men to engender their robots - larger forces are at work!

Personally I prefer a different tact for anthropomorphizing - why personify when bestial forms are more elegant in motion? Check this recent model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYptK21vAgQ

Note that they added the 'sexy' label, not I. That's a whole 'nother can of robo'worms.

planish

Re: beasty

Post by planish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 am

Once they get the arm-swinging thing figured out, the HRP-4C will become much more uncanny.
StalinSays wrote:Personally I prefer a different tact for anthropomorphizing - why personify when bestial forms are more elegant in motion? Check this recent model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYptK21vAgQ
That's sorta cute, in a big bug kind of way, but this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1jD3_s ... re=related - just creeps me out. Maybe it's because the movements are quicker.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 am

planish wrote:Once they get the arm-swinging thing figured out, the HRP-4C will become much more uncanny.
Yeah, that's important.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:40 pm

bolddeceiver wrote:
planish wrote:Once they get the arm-swinging thing figured out, the HRP-4C will become much more uncanny.
Yeah, that's important.
hehe. nice
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 pm

planish wrote:That's sorta cute, in a big bug kind of way, but this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1jD3_s ... re=related - just creeps me out. Maybe it's because the movements are quicker.
Yeah, the monstrous buzzing doesn't help the gigantic wingless fly impression "BigDog" leaves. Also, that hill he's climbing looks like the woods behind my childhood home, so many a false memory nightmare scenario can be devised:

There I was, at the tender age of 9, building a fort out of fallen branches wish youthful vigor, when the spell was broken by a distant whine. It was a queer kind of din, somewhere between my noisy mini-bike, awaiting its next ride in the garden shed, and the cacophonous wing beatings of many-eyed insectoid lord of hell Beezlebub.

planish

Post by planish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:47 am

One thing about the HRP-4C as a runway/fashion model ... she looks more normal than many biological runway models.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

robots

Post by StalinSays » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCK64zsZNNs
More info: http://io9.com/5199914/giant-robot-baby ... iju-battle

OK, so I think Japan is interested in super creepy humanoids in general, not exclusively lady-bots.

Seriously though, can we just keep working on the technology and have that be it? Do we need these things to have faces and expressions? Gack.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 am

C'mon now. If yer gunna make a Golem, the facial expression's half the fun. I'd be thinking big-eyed-Mexican-painted-on-black-velvet orphan. Then a Sally Struthers golem adopting it out in a TV commercial for $17 a month.
Hmmm. Norm's only $5/month. Maybe DC needs a big-eyed-Norm-painted-on-black-velvet-orphan golem.

There's a thought.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 pm

The baby one doesn't impress me. It's just a Furby®.

I also notice that some of these robots have got fat cables sticking out of the back of them, so I don't think they really qualify as androids. An android should have all its guts actually in its body.

By the far the most impressive robot we've seen here is, I think, the robodog. That's the only one that shows any real autonomy or does anything potentially useful. The humanoid robots are just novelties, but that dog's already halfway to being a search-and-rescue tool, a piece of construction equipment, or a weapon. I was totally blown away by how the guy could kick it and it kept its balance. That's impressive robotics. That robot is generating purposive, spontaneous behavior, just like a real animal. A robot that "talks" is just a parlor trick.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Plummeting birthrate happens in every culture that dissociates sex and procreation.
Flip Side: Plummeting birthrate happens in every culture that associates procreation and robots.

But looks like this one was built for ping pong.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"