Who's on Facebook?

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Who's on Facebook?

Post by StalinSays » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:DANGER! Be warned that friending me exposes you to extreme righty conservative viewpoints. (Ask Bo.)
His heart is in the right place. And by 'place' I meant 'wing lunatic fringe' :-)

I like to pretend Tweedy wears special glasses that make him see George Bush wherever Barack Obama is standing. His distaste for Nancy Pelosi, that's just perfectly normal.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 pm

There is obviously a displacement in the spectrum. Everyone right of center is said to belong to the lunatic fringe. Even tea partiers, who are by-and-large anti-Republican, are dismissed the same way. How can it be that one wing has all the fringes and all the haters, all the greedy wall street bandits? But wait! Goldman gave 70% of their contributions to Democrats, and what do they get? Called up before congressional committees.

I still say it's Evil vs Stupid. You pick.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 pm

And 'fringe' is a more mean spirited summation than 'evil'? I say no one has trusted or liked the federal government for about as long as I've been alive and we all take it out on each other.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:21 am

strawman wrote:There is obviously a displacement in the spectrum. Everyone right of center is said to belong to the lunatic fringe. Even tea partiers, who are by-and-large anti-Republican, are dismissed the same way. How can it be that one wing has all the fringes and all the haters, all the greedy wall street bandits? But wait! Goldman gave 70% of their contributions to Democrats, and what do they get? Called up before congressional committees.

I still say it's Evil vs Stupid. You pick.
Is the Goldman 70 percent figure in the last election cycle or over the long haul. My guess would be that seeing which way the wind was blowing they backed what they saw as the winning horse. As far as them still getting called up before congressional committees, I say, well good for the congressional committees. You shouldn't be able to buy your way out of trouble with political contributions, after all.

I don't think anyone on either side of the political spectrum is too thrilled with the Enron's and AIG's of this world. Certainly not their investors. Even Dennis Miller (hardly a liberal) was hoping that Obama tore AIG a new one for partying hardy after receiving a multi-billion dollar bailout.

Likewise with Afghanistan after 9/11. It truly was the fringe kooks that opposed going after Al-Qaeda training camps and the Taliban. Pretty much everyone else, democrat or republican was on the same page about going after bin Laden, dead or alive, as it were. I think the vote in the senate was 99-1 and the one "nay" vote deserved to have his/her (I don't recall who it was) arse booted out of office at the next election.

There really are some issues where there is broad consensus in the public mind.

Let's keep praying/hoping (depending on how you frame such things) that as a nation we can work towards finding those areas of common agreement. i.e. groups flying planes into our financial districts and corporations bilking and mis-managing American investors funds are pretty much bad things that should be avoided.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 am

I listened to some of the hearings today, and I would characterize what I heard as government posturing and abuse of power.
This says it well: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/opinion/27mclean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:43 am

strawman wrote:I listened to some of the hearings today, and I would characterize what I heard as government posturing and abuse of power.
This says it well: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/opinion/27mclean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yet, in the end, it comes down to this: Goldman Sachs, ACA Capital, IKB Deutsche Industriebank and even the rating agencies never had any duty to protect us from their greed. There was one entity that did — our government.

But it was the purported regulators, including the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision, that used their power not to protect, but rather to prevent predatory lending laws. The Federal Reserve, which could have cracked down on lending practices at any time, did next to nothing, thereby putting us at risk as both consumers and taxpayers. All of these regulators, along with the S.E.C., failed to look at the bad loans that were moving through the nation’s banking system, even though there were plentiful warnings about them.

More important, it was Congress that sat by idly as consumer advocates warned that people were getting loans they’d never be able to pay back. It was Congress that refused to regulate derivatives, despite ample evidence dating back to 1994 of the dangers they posed. It was Congress that repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, which separated investment and commercial banking, yet failed to update the fraying regulatory system.

It was Congress that spread the politically convenient gospel of home ownership, despite data and testimony showing that much of what was going on had little to do with putting people in homes. And it’s Congress that has been either unwilling or unable to put in place rules that have a shot at making things better. The financial crisis began almost three years ago and it’s still not clear if we’ll have meaningful new legislation. In fact, Senate Republicans on Monday voted to block floor debate on the latest attempt at a reform bill
Sounds like an argument against pure laissez-faire economics to me. However, I expect that there will be protests saying that the government has no business trying to regulate business cropping up.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:55 am

It's been over a hundred years since there was anything like pure laissez-faire economics. Arguing against it is beating a dead horse. The point is that if regulators treat the regulations as if they were immigration laws or cabinet members' tax obligations, then you might as well have pure laissez-faire, the result is the same.
Then to take the absurdity to the level of geosynchronous orbit, the same pontificating windbags who derelicted their duty take it out on their erstwhile partners in the political ponzi scheme, pretending to 'give voice to the outrage of the public'. Righto.

I feel sorry for idealistic progressives who believed in change. I remember thinking once that there were exceptions to the rule that politicians were all corrupt. But I'm pretty sure that is the inevitable result of a system that insists on living on other people's money.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Aha, I see you are a member of the "none of the above" party too. :-)

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:39 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Aha, I see you are a member of the "none of the above" party too. :-)
If they were all put in the Roman Coloseum, and the question was "Which ones should we spare?" that would describe my preference. But they are not my enemies. No, for I am commanded to love my enemies. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be locked up somewhere they can't harm themselves.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

But what's the option?

They say that a democratic republic is a horribly inefficient and flawed system of government.

As well as being the best system that man has yet to come up with.

I feel the despair that grips your soul and the political apathy that threatens it Strawman, but you have a strong voice.

Keep being that small voice in the wilderness. Keep speaking truth to power as you see it, and I'll keep doing the same.

Isn't there a verse in Timothy that directs those that believe to pray for wisdom for our leaders or something like that? (You're the biblical scholar.)

Do that to.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Yes, that falls under the 'Bless those that curse you' clause, not to mention the 'When they steal your shirt, give them your coat' clause. Obviously, Jesus was a radical.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm

strawman wrote:Yes, that falls under the 'Bless those that curse you' clause, not to mention the 'When they steal your shirt, give them your coat' clause. Obviously, Jesus was a radical.
Indeed.

rad·i·cal
   /ˈrædɪkəl/ Show Spelled[rad-i-kuhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. of or going to the root or origin; fundamental: a radical difference.
2. thoroughgoing or extreme, esp. as regards change from accepted or traditional forms: a radical change in the policy of a company.
3. favoring drastic political, economic, or social reforms: radical ideas; radical and anarchistic ideologues.
4. forming a basis or foundation.
–noun
9. a person who holds or follows strong convictions or extreme principles; extremist.
10. a person who advocates fundamental political, economic, and social reforms by direct and often uncompromising methods.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Also radical in the Ninja Turtle / Surfer sense. Walking on water must allow for catching some killer waves.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 pm

StalinSays wrote:Also radical in the Ninja Turtle / Surfer sense. Walking on water must allow for catching some killer waves.
Cowabunga dude.

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Sat May 01, 2010 3:51 am

I'm on FaceBook Douglas Mcdougall Felts
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

nevermore_66
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (by way of Norway, Montreal, and October Country, IL)

Post by nevermore_66 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:29 pm

I voted for Optimus Prime.
Boy meets girl.
Boy looses girl.
Boy gets girl back...
...one piece at a time.
Strangeness in the Proportion
(Now with 20% more absinthe!)