Page 1 of 1

Too far

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
by Mr. Tweedy
Okay, the robot has really gone too far this time.

When I checked the forum today, I saw this ad on the top. Image

Menteno is a town about 10 miles from where I live. The robot looked at my forum profile, saw that I live in Bourbonnais, went to a map site, looked up towns near Bourbonnais, picked one, and stuck it's name in the ad.

Creepy. Very, very creepy.[/img]

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:36 pm
by cammoblammo
This is why I love Firefox. If Adblock doesn't block it, it's only a couple of clicks until it does!

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:01 pm
by bolddeceiver
I'd guess it's more likely looking at your IP address than your forum profile...

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:38 pm
by tbaker2500
Who's to say I wasn't selling them the information?

You can pay me to stop. Protection money.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:00 pm
by Mr. Tweedy
bolddeceiver wrote:I'd guess it's more likely looking at your IP address than your forum profile...
I can tell where you are located by looking at your IP address?

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:40 pm
by strawman
Yep, that's how they're tracking down Osama bin Laden, by his addiction to 70virginschat.net, which is actually a site run by the CIA.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 pm
by Mr. Tweedy
No, seriously, though. Can you really track down someone's physical location just by knowing their IP address? Having some moderator power, I can see all of your IP addresses. Is there some way I could discover your home address using just that number?

I didn't think that was possible, at least not without active collaboration from your ISP...

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:27 am
by tbaker2500
ISP's typically have an IP pool for a given location (city). Sometimes the IP pool is specific to your neighborhood. But because almost all consumer hookups are dynamically allocated IP's, the only way to tie a given IP to a given person is to look up in the ISP's record if your had that IP at that time. Usually a court order is involved.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:00 pm
by bolddeceiver
Here's a test to prove it: Go on google, search for the thread "Local news," then look at the sponsored link at the top. For me it links one of the Seattle TV stations' news page; so long as someone's bought that ad space in your market, you'll see similar.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:12 am
by planish
I think it's hilarious when I see ads that assure me that there are hawt babes in [local town name here] waiting to meet me, and the named location consists solely of a defunct gas station and a hay barn.
tbaker2500 wrote:Who's to say I wasn't selling them the information?

You can pay me to stop. Protection money.
Oh, cool. Just ...um... send me your banking information and password so I can transfer the payment directly. :twisted:

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 am
by tbaker2500
planish wrote:I think it's hilarious when I see ads that assure me that there are hawt babes in [local town name here] waiting to meet me, and the named location consists solely of a defunct gas station and a hay barn.
tbaker2500 wrote:Who's to say I wasn't selling them the information?

You can pay me to stop. Protection money.
Oh, cool. Just ...um... send me your banking information and password so I can transfer the payment directly. :twisted:
You're looking for the Nigerian Scam Spam contest. It's elsewhere on this site. :P

Welcome to the forums planish!