Mr. Prude

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
Mr. Tweedy

Mr. Prude

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:34 am

Just a quick grumble from the resident prude.

It's been a long, slow trend, but I've definitely been noticing a lot more (how do you say) rude language on the Drabblecast than I was used to in the past. Mostly stuff like not-quite-bleeped f-bombs, crude slang for anatomy and bringing up sex when there really isn't any logical reason to bring up sex, the sort of non-clever filler humor that pads your lower order of sitcoms.

In the past, I recommended The Drabblecast to just about everyone, and I would sometimes listen to it with my wife or even my little kids. Obviously some stories and skits were only ever appropriate for older kids, and that's cool, but it's only recently that I've had to worry about my kids hearing a crudity like "meat puppet" or a song where the word "motherf*cker" is repeated a dozen times. I don't feel nearly as comfortable recommending it to people now, and I don't feel comfortable playing an episode out loud on the speakers like I used to.

This obviously isn't a show for everybody, and much of the content obviously isn't going to be appropriate for kids, but that doesn't mean it should be vulgar or lowbrow. To the contrary, the Drabblecast has always been sophisticated and intellectual (in it's own special sort of way), and its best humor has often come from satirizing the hypocrisies of our broader culture. Aside from being annoying, I feel like some of the cruder stuff actually brings it down from there, down a wee bit closer to that lowest common denominator that we all rightfully abhor.

So, yeah, keep it clean, I guess. Like in ye olden days.

Advertise in this space!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Mr. Prude

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:42 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote: bringing up sex when there really isn't any logical reason to bring up sex
That's crazy talk! You can never bring up sex too much -- uh, as long as it's between a male and a (not resisting too violently) female. :wink:

But, I do agree that the crude language cheapens the cast/experience, I don't care if it is the habit of 70% of blue-state residents. (Around here, everyone swears way worse, and more frequently, than the sailors I served with.)

'Cides nothing's more fun than a bit of strategic censorship.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

Well, I guess as episode totals begin to double and so on, you can always expect some sorts of evolution, or at least sort of 'new' to arise.

The main thing: We've got our standard and it might push you sometimes, but if you're involved to the point of reading this right now it most likely won't ever break you. I'll always warn when I think I should warn, and that's the best I can do. Stories that move us and make it to the final stages of delivery made it there for a reason-- cuz that's a 'Drabblecast story' baby!

It can't flow the other way. I can't produce content that has been filtered and signed off on by everyone listening, with all of their own past's, prejudices and paradigms in play. I mean, since when did 'meat-puppets' become at all a 'crudity' for god's sake?
I don't have kids, I'm not you-- my point is, there's no universal parameters. No way to know. I gotta function how I be functioning.

We're a lot alike-- I'm not a fan of using vulgar language as a crutch for 'writing with impact'-- if you hear an f-bomb, it was un-bleeped conscientiously and with warning. If it was mostly bleeped but 'not-quite-bleeped', I suggest getting over it rather than debating over how much of offense you should take away from the superfluous group of vowels and consonance you actually made out over the bleepidge. Also with sex-related material, another common cop-out for 'shocking'. I WILL NOT read a story or have someone read a story to you that has profuse and expendable content (IMHO), no matter what. You should see the stuff we cut out of some of these stories, hehe.
We aren't conscientiously picking stories that are trying to be more overtly racy or crude. And just to put it out there, without a shadow of a doubt, Matthew Bey definitely has nothing to do with any issues in this regard. Matt's actually quite bit more tasteful than Kendall or Luke were, believe it or not.

Maybe, it's my commentary that might sometimes offend. All I know is that I'm the same me (as far as I know) as I've been for the past few years. Still, I know for the same reasons that people find shitty Sarah Silverman interesting and/or funny, there must be people who love and/or hate my brain's own spoutings. It's like, agreeing to 'like' paisely and then walking into a room of patterns and saying "oh no...what have I done..."

Maybe I'm getting more unscrupulous and gaudy these days, or maybe you're getting more inflexible and demure-- I'm sure we'd both deny either accusation right? There's no way to make everyone happy, make everyone laugh, make everyone perk up and pay attention. I feel like, on average, it's a bit better to be audacious than boring-- but overall it's best to be unpredictable. And that's probably what most people should expect, as long as I have anything to do with this thing.

Avoid the extreme left and right at all costs while giving the middle a swirly and taking all of its lunch money.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, FYI, my gripe is 95% about the intro and outro stuff, not the stories.

Specifically this is prompted by the intro portion of ep. 196. When Tony says "I will rape your whole family and burn your f*cking village to the ground," and then when you say that dancing is an alternative to evolving a complex vagina to avoid being raped. I just know lots of people (I and I guess would fall on the fence in this category) who would really enjoy the story content and a lot of the satirical humor, but would find rape to be a deeply non-funny subject... And both those sketches would have worked fine without bringing vaginas in at all.

Of course, I'm not demanding any changes here (not like I have any position to make demands anyway). I'm just offering my perception, for your information, because I'm not shy. 8)
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

I hear ya Tweeds, and this is the 'suggestion box.' Duely noted friend
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 pm

You the Danza!
Advertise in this space!

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I am typically not personally offended by anything Norm says or does on the show. Most of the time I see it as just Norm being Norm, and I wouldn't want Norm to be anybody else.

The only time I was a bit disappointed was on the first half of the HorrorWorld Halloween epsiodes. Since I played a small part in that, I wanted to share it with all my family and friends, but the boob jokes in the context of breast cancer awareness made me back off. I mean, I got the humor behind it. That's not the issue. I could have gone without it, but was not particularly offended. However,I knew that this would offend many of who I would share it with, including some breast cancer survivors, so I didn't promote it as much as I had planned to.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's Norm's peroggative to say what he wants, and it's my perogative to share it with whomever I wish, or to fast forward if I wish, or whatever. This is still a great podcast!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm actually hoping for more F-sniper rifles or F-railguns. The F-bomb is so F***ing imprecise...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 am

Not that my input matters to anybody involved, but I'll dip in anyway.

My feeling is that Tweedy is somewhat right, in that Norm has become a little looser in the intros. That being said, I found the Tony stuff really funny. Possibly we're seeing Norm getting a little looser, and Tweedy getting tighter.

But with regards to family-friendly material- I don't know what you've been smoking, but the DC has never been family friendly. From day one, either the intros or the story have been too much for me to share with my folks or "nice people", all but for something like 4 episodes. However, I have certainly been able to share them with my peers, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

P.S. That was funny ROU.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 am

I disagree. Go back through the 200 episodes, Tom. There are A LOT there that are completely appropriate for a 9-year-old. (Well, my nine-year-old, anyway.) Quite possibly the majority of them. Consider our Chalice of Glory winners: Jelly Park, Floating Over Time, Babel Probe. Those stories certainly aren't oddballs. Most of the stories here are solidly in the "PG" range and the Norm humor has generally followed suit. Consider our most beloved bardles: Radioactive Runaways, Pimp my Satellite, Babylon Battle of the Bands, Juzt Mizundrstood. Even most of the genital-oriented skits base their humor on clever parody and sarcasm, not "shock." (You Americans are sissies; this is how real men noodle!)

If you really think about it, skits that revolve around bleeped words and slang for breasts are actually pretty exceptional.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:18 am

Ok, we're talking about two somewhat different things. The reason I may not feel comfortable sharing a story has little to do with a PG rating, it usually has to do with the concepts expressed. I agree that many, if not most, of the episodes were PG.

i don't have a son (or a daughter, for that matter). However, I can see your frustration with not being able to share your love of this show with him.

On the other hand, I know Norm hasn't pocketed a red dime from all his work, so I'm reluctant to argue with where he wants to take it.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:51 am

One could always skip ahead to the story via the handy dandy chapter markers threaded in!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 am

And risk missing some of the most ingenious comedy ever put to hard drive? Doubtful. After years of consistent awesomeness, hitting "skip" is not something to be taken lightly. Skip might have cost me the Santa bailout song, or Connor Choadsworth's report from Tibet. I'm still a ways from measures that drastic!
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

ba dum, dum dum The government stepped in, and bailed out santy-clause;
With your mom and daddies tax dollars...makes everything okay again.

(How do you write pitch bend in text?)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:04 am

tbaker2500 wrote: P.S. That was funny ROU.
I try.

ventricle

Post by ventricle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 am

normsherman wrote:

Maybe I'm getting more unscrupulous and gaudy these days.
keep getting more both.

you are a diamond-studded butterfly on a poison-tipped tie pin, norm.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 am

swamp wrote:The only time I was a bit disappointed was on the first half of the HorrorWorld Halloween epsiodes. Since I played a small part in that, I wanted to share it with all my family and friends, but the boob jokes in the context of breast cancer awareness made me back off.
I giggled like a teenager remembering that part just at this mention. I'm sorry Swamp, I'm not demeaning you, I just thought that was genius.

Two 2c is, and if you've seen some of the new stuff I've posted you'l get the idea, anything goes. I think it's a British thing, but to me nothing should be off limits for comedy. making fun of something disarms it and opens it up for discussion.

But I can see how some people would, and also that some want to share DC with younger relos. Although I think the warning's before episodes that really cross the line are doing their job fine, and as for the odd swear word, hell, I take my kids to rugby games where they here worse, and that's from the referees.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 am

As far as parental warnings go, I'm all for them.

After all, Tipper Gore showed us the way to marketing success.

How else are the kids going to know which episodes are the good ones?

swamp

Post by swamp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Mikes wrote:
swamp wrote:The only time I was a bit disappointed was on the first half of the HorrorWorld Halloween epsiodes. Since I played a small part in that, I wanted to share it with all my family and friends, but the boob jokes in the context of breast cancer awareness made me back off.
I giggled like a teenager remembering that part just at this mention. I'm sorry Swamp, I'm not demeaning you, I just thought that was genius.
Norm Sherman is a genius, no doubt about it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Norm is a God of Podcasting. On Drabblescast and EscapePod. (I mean listen to his outro on EP280--brilliant!) His voice is as smooth as pudding, and his comedy and wit are unmatched by anyone I know.

I don't want him to change anything about the podcast. I was just describing one instance of where it gave me pause to share it with those I knew would not appreciate the humor.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 pm

ventricle wrote:
normsherman wrote:

Maybe I'm getting more unscrupulous and gaudy these days.
keep getting more both.

you are a diamond-studded butterfly on a poison-tipped tie pin, norm.
Ventricle...
Good to see you've found gainful employment. You have clearly moved on to become Charlie Sheen's quip writer...

I knew he wasn't creative enough to come up with all those self-descriptors himself... ;-)