What's your favorite Drabblecast genre?

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Question: where does the creative commons license run into the "no profit" clause with respect to radio rebroadcast? Presumably a high school station would be non-profit. Or college even. But commercial stations would be no-no, right?

And would this mean no more rutabaga stories? I mean I think Norm may have used a couple of Carlin's 7 words.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:But whatever you do, don't change the podcast to make it more "mainstream." The Drabblecast is genuinely good. It even has those occasional moments of genius. Don't dumb it down for the masses. Artists should raise the masses up to their level, not pander.
This is the core concept here.

Girl Genius is faithfully read by my business partner during work hours, so I know it has some following. It looks like you'll get about 60k "views" (probably 59k "ignores") per day, which'll cost you $32.

http://www.projectwonderful.com/adverti ... 064&type=5

You can get a tiny button ad for $2-$3/day.

It'd be an interesting experiment.

I still like the non-profit radio station idea. Unique content for free? They like free.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_radio has a list of all the HS radio stations. But a) will Norm have to censor the podcast? and b) Will the Creative commons license allow rebroadcast?

If the answer is'no prob', then we should come up with a standard invitation, including a link to SciFi High for a sampler, and get to work.

Bet if we did this, DC would be swamped with submissions.

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:18 pm

A quick google search shows that many, many radio stations rely on CC licensed material. My understanding is, that as long as the station does not make a profit from it, it's fair game.

With regards to censoring, let them bleep anything they don't like. It's done every minute on broadcast television and radio, don't see how the DC would be any different.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

How about if DC could send a DC tee shirt or Norm Sherman CD to listenners who sign up a station that picks up the podcast.

Spoiler:

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:46 am

Sorry for the delay in response. Yah, I really think this is a kickass idea. I think college stations might do better than highschool, but both are worth a shot. The best course seems to me to be to send a CD with an even mix of song clips, stories or full episodes that are pretty audience friendly but sum it all up. I'm going to send a CD and letter of inquiry to several places around Baltimore and DC and will prob use Jelly Park, Gifting Bliss, some Black and White Animals, Hush and Hark, scifi high, juzt misunderstood, and tell them it's a weekly show usually 25 min or less with weird but quality flash fiction, music, news etc.
I'd be more than happy to send a shirt (or cat...does anyone want a cat?) to anyone who can get us picked up on a radiostation.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:47 am

I can put up a page with those files on it, and we email lotsa stations.
Looks like we just need a letter.

"
To: Program Director

Dear Sir,

Need more oddity in your life? Missing the bewildering qualities of intellectual strangeness? Or just need to just more listeners? Time for The Drabblecast, a weekly show of Strange Stories, by Strange Authors, for Strange Listeners.

The Drabblecast is heralding in a new era of quality storytelling by charismatic and talented Norm Sherman. Having reached it's 100th episode, the Drabblecast is quickly rising to prominence on the internet.

Now we're opening our doors to local non-profit radio stations who can take advantage of its low cost (free) Creative Commons Non Commercial, No Derivatives license.

For a sampling of episodes as well as songs, please visit http://comecheckusout.now

If you have any questions, please email Norm at goatkeeper@hotmail.com
"

Hmm... Well, it's off-the cuff. Norm, waddaya ya got?

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I absolutely adore the Drabblecast. I love it, I love it, I love it.

There. I'm back.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:57 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
"
To: Program Director

Dear Sir,

Need more oddity in your life? Missing the bewildering qualities of intellectual strangeness? Or just need to just more listeners? Time for The Drabblecast, a weekly show of Strange Stories, by Strange Authors, for Strange Listeners.

The Drabblecast is heralding in a new era of quality storytelling by charismatic and talented Norm Sherman. Having reached it's 100th episode, the Drabblecast is quickly rising to prominence on the internet.

Now we're opening our doors to local non-profit radio stations who can take advantage of its low cost (free) Creative Commons Non Commercial, No Derivatives license.

For a sampling of episodes as well as songs, please visit http://comecheckusout.now

If you have any questions, please email Norm at goatkeeper@hotmail.com
"

Booya
"Give us all some Jelly"