Comics as literature

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
Wonko

Comics as literature

Post by Wonko » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey there everybody, I've got a problem.

I've been assigned to write up a book list for a class called "comics as literature". Now, normally, I'd just say Watchmen and be done with it, but the assignment says that the parents of the students are all conservative right-wing Christians, and thus would be offended by blood, sex, violence, and language.

My question to you is this: what comics would you choose for this list?

Also: why are college writing assignments so weird?
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Comics as literature

Post by StalinSays » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Hmmmm. Toughie. So many great comics, so many great comics instantly excluded because of the boobies and bullets in them.

Maus would be a start. Can't go all PTA on Holocaust violence.

How about finding one of the classic literature graphic novel interpretations, and assign both to read, then write a comparison piece? There's a lot of em.'
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm a conservative right-wing Christian. Your assignment offends me. (Really, the Bible is full of blood, sex, violence and language. Context is everything.)

I don't know if it qualifies as a comic (since it has no text), but Shaun Tan's "The Arrival" is beautiful book with nothing to offend prudes.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Wonko wrote: My question to you is this: what comics would you choose for this list?

Also: why are college writing assignments so weird?
Here's a guaranteed A: Comics as literature is actually evolved from "Narrative Art", one of the first instances of which is Trajan's column, dedicated in 113 AD.

As to your second question, Parents who pay tuition have not yet figured out the lie that a degree in this stuff increases your lifetime earnings; and their kids have decided if they tell them, the party gets cut off. It is what in the education industry passes for checks and balances. Look at it as a premature withdrawal from your inheritance.
If you are financing said education with hundreds of thousands in student loans, prospects are dim.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Oh yeah. Bang for buck, college is about the worst investment you could make. (I know; I went.) Unless you're going to go for 8 or 10 years and learn how to rearrange brains or fuse atoms, you can pretty much count on getting your old job at Speedway back after you graduate.

But, since you're there, you might as well write a good paper. :thumbs:
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Oh yeah. Bang for buck, college is about the worst investment you could make. (I know; I went.) Unless you're going to go for 8 or 10 years and learn how to rearrange brains or fuse atoms, you can pretty much count on getting your old job at Speedway back after you graduate.

But, since you're there, you might as well write a good paper. :thumbs:
Truer words. My older brother is the most educated custodian in the Portland Public School System. (12 years of higher education, where he went all but dissertation for his PH.D in European Intellectual History of Phillosphy... he had an existential crisis and didn't bother to turn in the thesis)

Whereas I was smart enough to drop out of college after five days (ok I had my own crisis too.)

Ken and I both agree that proves what we already knew.

I've always been the fast learner in the family.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Your assignment offends me.
It's not my classification, it's my teacher's. I was offended as well.

Anyway, assigning Trajan's column to read seems rather impractical, but since I've already put Understanding Comics on the list on the basis that you'll want to know what it is you're reading, and since it's got a chapter on comics that predate modern comics, and it talks about the traditions of narrative art.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:07 am

I'm not really offended. I was just trying to generate some fun irony waves by saying I was offended by someone's attempt to be sensitive... Or maybe I was just being insulted... At any rate, it takes more than that to offend me. Like Bo using the word "moob". That's offensive.

Have you considered the classic "Tin Tin" comics? Those are pretty good and quite prude friendly.
Advertise in this space!

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:34 am

I Guess Lost Girls is out
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.