MB4 R1 - Scarho'tep vs. Tristegotops vs. Minotaurd

Which Mega-Beast finalist are you voting for?

Scarho'tep
30%
Tristegotops
30%
Minotaurd
41%

Total votes: 27

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: MB4 R1 - Scarho'tep vs. Tristegotops vs. Minotaurd

Post by StalinSays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:09 am

ejbman wrote:
Non-Euclidean Geo. wrote:Quick question: Do the winners of each round take on the losers' strengths and weaknesses, or just the strengths?
Tends to be just the strengths, if prior years are any guage, but it is inconsistent.
There is a streamlining: we strive for parody in each individual round. If the combination of powers makes for something too mind-blowing, we exaggerate a weakness as well. For example Lucifoul, who could see in to other dimensions, as well as the future, and use mind control, was insane/splintered. Or Hellaphant, who was tough, teleporting, flying, and clawed, received eye-sight issues from being part Death Mole. In general though things just get more ridiculous as they go along.

I'd imagine the finalist, whoever comes out of the round, will be of average intelligence thanks to Minotaurd's essence. Though if Taurd goes on we might make him all moody over his ejection from Eden (getting smart) a la Flowers for Algernon.
tbaker2500 wrote:
ejbman wrote:Thus, I refer to extra dust devil power - in addition to the normal jet-like thrust keeping 700lb beast effortlessly in the air - in thwarting missle exhaust and trajectory, especially when dealing with them at their source.
Listen- you can't have it both ways. Either Scar is very maneuverable and can dodge missiles at will (he's been compared to trying to hit a mosquito), OR he is a 700lb monster.
Scarho'tep is far and away the smallest of the competitors, so I'd afford him some exaggerated maneuverability (with the magical 6 wings conceit). He's not exactly dancing through the air though - having the locomotion of a helicopter (which I compare him to), it bears mention that helicopters are kind of slow. Also, like anything else, they go down when struck by a missile.

----

Scarho'tep jumped from last to first in just a couple days - craziness. The podcast talkers trended Stego, I'm still pulling for Taurd - whoda'thunkit?
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:48 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ejbman wrote:No, I don't see why I can't have it both ways. The stats specifically say that he is 700lbs AND that his flight is effortless. He just that powerful. Face it - he dominates all the others like the crazy god-insect from Lexx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apjMFCm4mb0
Well, this has degenerated into a pointless argument.
Wait... there was a point? :D
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 am

ejbman wrote:
Scar goes right for Triste, whom he recognizes as the bigger threat. He latches onto his back behind the ordinance and starts snipping away weaponry and sucking life force. At the same time, he beats his wings hard enough to LIFT Triste right off the ground (indeed, the extra life force he gains from Triste, even as Triste is shrinking and dessicating, makes it easier and easier). While Mino is still standing around, moving in circles, asking himself "Where'd they go? Where'd they go?", the dust of the liftoff reveals his invisible position. Then, Scar navigates over to Mino's position and DROPS Triste right on top of Mino (whose sword is presumably raised up), IMPALING Triste on Mino's sword while simultaneously CRUSHING Mino, ironically, like a bug. Game over in like, 10 seconds.

And BTW dreamrock, I second your motion to RSS the forum! Is there a suggestion box somewhere?
Lemme get this straight. A 700 hundred lb. dung beetle lifts a 5 TON dinosaur with ballistic missiles on its back and a swinging spiked tail up into the air-- he's able to achieve this amazing defiance of reason because he sucks the life essence from the stego, shrinking him and leaving him dessicated and light enough to lift and carry.
And then the final piece, the grand master-stroke of this brilliant plan, is for stego's withered empty husk to be dropped on Minotaurd so that it will...crush him?
Just makin' sure I read that right. :?

Stego vs. Beetle. An armored combatant with ranged high-powered explosives vs. a combatant who's only real power comes into play at close range. Admit it-- you Scar'hotep fans just have poop fetishes.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:26 am

Norm, keep in mind the Beast Master sez:
StalinSays wrote:
ejbman wrote:he beats his wings hard enough to LIFT Triste right off the ground
Both possible and totally awesome.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:39 am

Withered Steggo husks
Billow gently to the ground
Like snow flakes in Hell
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:54 am

Faintly cries Mino
A ruckus grunt from Tristen
Scarho'torious
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:21 am

normsherman wrote:
ejbman wrote: Then, Scar navigates over to Mino's position and DROPS Triste right on top of Mino (whose sword is presumably raised up), IMPALING Triste on Mino's sword while simultaneously CRUSHING Mino, ironically, like a bug. Game over in like, 10 seconds.

And BTW dreamrock, I second your motion to RSS the forum! Is there a suggestion box somewhere?
Just makin' sure I read that right. :?
I think Scar'hotep has the greatest advantage but not necessarily because of these recent arguments. I still stick to some of the earlier points.

For one, the stats are all over the place on Scars life force sucking ability. Some times it's eye contact, sometimes it's physical contact anywhere, and the mega-beasts site says that he sucks it through his belly. Regardless of how he does it, he can do it, and whichever means you guys decide on, we'll come up with ways to get him to do it.

Basically:

Scar'hotep:
6'5" 700lbs, 6 wings, Ultra-tough exoskeleton, effortless flight
Makes and directs dust devils, sucks life force/energy

Tristegotops:
8'2" 5tons, Ballistics and armor plating, spiked tail, plodding but able

Minotaurd:
11' 2 tons. Strength of hercules, Invisible helm of hades, winged sandals (speedy dashes and flight-like leaps), golden fleece (protection from magic), shield of protection, and the sword of damocles (which, doesnt actually have any powers stemming from the original myth, its a metaphor for having something dangerous hanging over your head, but the stats say that it cuts well)

Yes, Scar'hotep is the lightest, because he's an insect and lacks the massive bone structure and musculature of a vertebrate. But he IS both 700lbs AND easily maneuvered.

Against Tristegotops, Scar'hotep would have full advantage because of his agility and flight. Tri is like a tank, full of power but cumbersome. It would only take some mad dust devils to blind Tri so that he can't aim his ballistics, and Scar can wing in at will to disarm the dino. Tri's tail, while spiked and lethal side-to-side, can't reach his back, creating that a prime weak spot. Once Scar has disabled the ranged weapons, he can attack from the front or top, sucking life force as needed and using his claws to maul Tri anywhere there isn't armor.

Against Minotaurd, Scar again has the advantage, because his abilities basically equal or negate Mino's. Mino goes invis, Scar hurls a dust storm which reveals Min's shape. Mino takes a flying leap... well, Scar is already flying, and weighs less than half of Mino's mass and has 6 wings for maneuvering. So, in an aerial battle, Scar wins. Both have protection (carapace and shield) and both have close-range weapons (sword and claws). So abilities being equal, it really would come down to which beast can outsmart the other using said skills. And in that issue at least we can all agree that Mino would lose.

Thus, Scar'hottie wins.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Not to mention, most of the arguments for Minotaurd seem to be 'he accidentally hits someone and wins', and for Tri, that he shoots off missiles that 'are bound to hit something and win'. The biggest reason I think Scar would win is because he's the only opponent I've heard that could actually strategize.
----

Non-Euclidean Geo.

Post by Non-Euclidean Geo. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm

jannypie wrote:The biggest reason I think Scar would win is because he's the only opponent I've heard that could actually strategize.
Did the Incredible Hulk need strategy? Was that strategy Mike Ditka was using when he gave the Fridge the football to score a gratuitous touchdown in the '86 Superbowl? Did the French need strategy in WWII?

There are generals and there are soldiers. Who would you rather fight in a deathmatch; General Napoleon or the soldier Achilles? I think we'd all wipe the floor with the silly little field marshal.

Strategy-Schmategy.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Aha! But the Hulk was a professor, deep down. Ditka provided the plays, Napoleon the battle plans and Achilles was helped by the gods. Soldiers are no good without a brain behind them.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Jekyll was a doctor. Hyde was just a mister.
Non-Euclidean Geo. wrote:Strategy-Schmategy
You have to admit though, it's catchy. When it's foot soldier vs. officer, one on one, planning only goes so far. That being not nearly as far as a bayonet. Brains are overrated.

Minotaurd doesn't have much of a frontal lobe / higher brain function situation, but he does have instincts. If you cut him, he'll bleed, then go loopy from the sight and start lashing out with his god-like abilities.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Surely there must be someone in this world willing to make book on this contest?

Same venue as last year? Weather forecast/turf conditions?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 am

StalinSays wrote:Brains are overrated.
if brains AND boobs are overrated, i've got no chances.

StalinSays wrote:Minotaurd doesn't have much of a frontal lobe / higher brain function situation, but he does have instincts.
How inotuarded is he? If he's drooling, it's obviously affecting some lower brain functions as well. There's a difference between stupid but effective (football players, ogres, The Tick) and mentally disabled (Timmah, cave trolls). If he's on the level of a cave troll, may I call to mind the scene where ALL of the fellowship outlived the troll due to their smaller sizes and wits, despite the havoc he made with his club.
----

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 am

if brains AND boobs are overrated, i've got no chances.

HA! That's a pretty good chunk of Weirdos in those qualifiers, there...
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:38 am

jannypie wrote: Against Tristegotops, Scar'hotep would have full advantage because of his agility and flight. Tri is like a tank, full of power but cumbersome.
Um, you know anti-aircraft tanks are rather effective in warfare?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugabwehr ... zer_Gepard

In fact MOST anti aircraft ballistics (on ships, ground mounted) are less maneuverable, but it gets the job done.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 am

moonowl wrote: Um, you know anti-aircraft tanks are rather effective in warfare?
Those point up. I believe someone else has already made the point that all of his point directly forward. :)
----

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Well people, this is a well fought battle. Just because I disagree with Scar fans, doesn't mean I don't like ya. :-)

That being said, I'm still having trouble getting over how Scar doesn't get shot down by Triste. As Bo says, compare him to a helicopter. Any military heli pilot will tell you that a guided missile is your worst bloody nightmare. Your chance of survival is something like 10%. Now, it's not been established what sort of missiles these are; they could be dumb. But, they are supposed to be Military Grade Ballistics.

I'm trying to be very open here. I'm recognizing that the missiles could be dumb. I'll also recognize that if the combat starts off at very close range, the missiles would have trouble tracking. Now I ask for an open minded response: How could Scar not get hit by missiles?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm

You know, scratch that. It don't matter. Whoever loses this round is losing to Mongoose anyway.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Don't worry T, we'll still like you too when Tri loses ;)

I think it's been mentioned that it doesnt say anywhere that Tri has guided missiles of any sort, heat seeking or not.

They did point out on the podcast that Tri can launch his horns. That's a good point, it may give him some vertical attack ability, although the horns wouldn't explode like missiles would, and they're pretty curved, so I can't imagine they'd make very good harpoons. Scar's weakness is his underbelly, true. But when some lizard shoots off his curved horn in his direction, Scar can just turn his back and deflect the assault, just like any classy lady... er.... mega beast would do.

[edit: i was typing when you posted your scratch that comment. i also am looking forward to the other rounds.]
----

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 pm

jannypie wrote:Don't worry T, we'll still like you too when Tri loses ;)
Hey, that's better than moonowl, who just kept rubbing our noses in it. :D
I think it's been mentioned that it doesnt say anywhere that Tri has guided missiles of any sort, heat seeking or not.
Yea, it's pretty vague, but this is where the harsh devisions establish themselves. In MY mind, they zoom out and blow up the dung beetle. In your mind they're bottle rockets.

But I guess here's the ultimate question: How can you people call yourselves loyal Drabblecast listeners, when you go against the wishes of Norm? I mean, that's like heresy!