Drabblecast 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
carter101 wrote:I liked this story and narration so much I registered to say so!

I did get a bit confused when hearing about her down in a hole waiting for trucks to come past, picturing some sort of freedom fighting/ anti-establishment terrorism but I'll put that down to listening too soon after waking up.
Welcome!

Maybe I misunderstand your confusion, but my take is she is down in the pit where you change oil at jiffy lube. Metaphorically, she's trapped underground, doing her job, and so is he, many miles away. The effort to get from pit to pit is as difficult as pulling up roots and moving to be with your loved one.
Good analysis, Tom. One of the more subtle metaphors in the story. The pneumatic tube metaphor is so thinly veiled, but was a very romantic depiction of modern long distance
internet relationships. Your take on Life in jiffylube was a good catch.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

blueeyeddevil

Post by blueeyeddevil » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 am

I just recently posted this same sentiment over on the EP boards'; the idea has merit here, and since Norm is involved with both, I think it gives me carte blanche. Besides which, two stories have recently arisen to demonstrate this point (one here and one on EP).

There are times where an idea presented within a story is so moving that it elevates the story irrespective of what else happens within the story.

This story is a sweet, if otherwise unremarkable, story of delayed love in the PPADF (possibly post-apocalyptic dystopian future, I'm not sure there's an abbreviation for this, and I think there should be.)

Unfortunately this story doesn't really capitalize on the most remarkable idea presented, which is detailed within the title.
The idea of a global network of pneumatic tubes, divorced from its obvious metaphor for modern IT sharing tech, has an amazing and complex beauty. The line (though I might inexactly quote) 'now me can send a live butterfly to Dubai in ten seconds' is amazing. If you want a mental vacation, imagine that possibilty for a moment; the ability to send one small tube-shaped piece of existence anywhere else on the planet.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 am

Yeah. I was hoping for more pneumatic tubeage.
Advertise in this space!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 pm

A sweet love story, of which I have few complaints. I liked that her journey was not for naught and they got to be together in the end. Very nice.

My complaints really only had to do with the first few minutes. The "One of us did this and one of us did that" got really old, really quick, so I was very happy when it switched to a more natural feeling third person narration. Though it didn't really make much sense to have the first part be first person plural and the rest to be third person. I get the switch in number, but why the switch from first to third?

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Unblinking wrote:My complaints really only had to do with the first few minutes. The "One of us did this and one of us did that" got really old, really quick, so I was very happy when it switched to a more natural feeling third person narration. Though it didn't really make much sense to have the first part be first person plural and the rest to be third person. I get the switch in number, but why the switch from first to third?
Funny thing, I normally get very tetchy when a story mucks about with perspective like that, but it never bothered me in this one. The plurality in the beginning really helps with the idea that these people are together, and the shift in perspective effectively drives them apart. I barely noticed.

This is the best story I've heard so far this year. I was expecting something more along the lines of "The Golden Age of Fire Escapes", the use of an era far enough away to feel nostalgic and close enough that we can easily shift our thinking towards it. I've never been much for sappy stuff and so I was ready to be disappointed, but this really got to me.

Lovelife chat: I've been married for a little under a year and our anniversary is coming up in a couple of months. Maybe that's part of what's getting to me. :)
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Synchronicity can be bittersweet, sometimes. Guess I wouldn't be human if I didn't cry through the whole episode. We'd been sending our messages through the pneumatic tubes, between me and Canada, Dré and I. We weren't playing chess, we were playing poker for play money, and she was the one teaching me. We had our laughter and our special moments and our dreams of meeting. Our story ends less happily, but I suppose the moral there is one worth noting, and perhaps heeded more than a simple platitude due to my new perspective.

If you find yourself living in a story on the drabblecast, don't be afraid to make that long trek to that Jiffy-Lube pit across the country. Don't put it off too long. Find your happy endings.

GSV What Gravitas?

Post by GSV What Gravitas? » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:23 am

I second the sentiments of the Killing Time. It's nice to hear a tale about one of those hallucinatory-intense long range things managing to turn out right, even if it does bring on a terrible case of the wistful blues over failing to have braved a similar cross continental dramatic journey myself.

Now, for us maudlin and lonely types, a second story under the same title focussing less on the love and more on the pneumo-tubes!

Pneeeuuumooo-tuuubes.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 am

WTF!!! Another Culture ship? Out here?

Who did you piss off in Special Circumstances to merit being banished to this backwater of the galaxy?

Srsly.

Don't F*** with the Culture.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:01 am

Uh oh.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:00 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Uh oh.
Don't worry about how big he is, Tom. General Service Vehicles are the 18-wheel truckers of the Culture.

All the fun is in Rapid Offense.

GSV What Gravitas?

Post by GSV What Gravitas? » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh yes, my biggishness is of almost total irrelevance. I spend most of my time lost in my own substrate anyway. And I do try not to offend anyone, let alone rapidly.

Actually I think that last part may be a lie.

As to purpose; I could declare myself Eccentric, Reclusive, or I could insinuate some kind of shady operational imperative of the kind which necessitates the hanging around of multi-billion-tonnage, fleet-manufacture-capable yet millitarily-deniable assets in dark corners?

Whichever lets you sleep better.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 pm

GSV What Gravitas? wrote:Oh yes, my biggishness is of almost total irrelevance. I spend most of my time lost in my own substrate anyway. And I do try not to offend anyone, let alone rapidly.

Actually I think that last part may be a lie.

As to purpose; I could declare myself Eccentric, Reclusive, or I could insinuate some kind of shady operational imperative of the kind which necessitates the hanging around of multi-billion-tonnage, fleet-manufacture-capable yet millitarily-deniable assets in dark corners?

Whichever lets you sleep better.
Oh, I sleep just fine, tyvm... ;-)

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:59 am

I loved this story in part because I was surprised by it; in part because the urgency of love came through so strongly even when the barriers were so different from what we think of as contemporary barriers; and in part because it was just a great story. Another win for the Drabblecast.