Drabblecast 126 - Dagon

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 pm

The avatar filesize restrictions are draconian. :?
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:The avatar filesize restrictions are draconian. :?
While your explanation makes much more technical sense its far too boring for DC. I'm sticking with Cyber-gnomes...

(Yes, I play far too much WoW...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

augustleo76

Post by augustleo76 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:25 am

Horrifically Beautiful.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 am

Welcome, augustleo76, and bless you for getting the class back on track. Mr. Tweedy and Mr. ROU, please report to the school nurse for your past due ritalin medication. Tsk, Mr. Tweedy. Tsk Tsk. :oops:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

DougallStrange

Dagon

Post by DougallStrange » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 pm

A Lovecraft story was a perfect fit for the show, and Norm's (I really hope that shower thing is true) narration really added to the piece, I actually got more enjoyment out of the story than I ever have before. The Bhardle was a sweet romantic lttle diddy that I found excellent! now if only my finacial aid to Miskatonic University would come through my life would be complete.

P.S. thanks for the referal to the Cthullu Podcast. it is one more brick in the defensive wall between my soul and my Job

P.P.S Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 am

Great show, and made all the more impressive by the fact that HPL's stuff is really hard to dramatize, even if you don't have to worry about visual effects. His writing was considered a bit stiff and archaic by his contemporaries 60 years ago, so, you know, tough stuff to work with.
mogera robusta

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 am

What up, G. E.? Long time no see.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 am

Yah man, we've been longing for the mole ya know?
"Give us all some Jelly"

G. E. Lee

Re: Drabblecast 126- Dagon by H.P.Lovecraft

Post by G. E. Lee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:59 am

Yeah, been runnin' underground, so to speak. Buried in work and stuff. Struggling to come up with witty 'mole' puns. You know. Don't worry. I've been listening....
But I think I'm back to a point where I can go diggin through forums again.
mogera robusta

zZzacha

Re: Drabblecast 126- Dagon by H.P.Lovecraft

Post by zZzacha » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Perfect! This is an awesome episode to listen to while swimming in the bath tub. Whereas before I needed to take a bath to relax, I now need to get the hell out of here to try and keep my sanity. Awesomeness!

I never read anything by Hewlett Packard Lovecraft, I do listen to his stories when they appear on podcasts. And why should I ever read them, when Norm can read them to me in such an awesome way? Love it!

And speaking of awesomeness: the Bbardle was ... well... awesome! I love Norm's sound, me is a fan.
[speaking of Norm's sound: do you by any chance have any plans to make another CD? For me? :) ]

Now... Do I dare listen to another DC story here in my bath tub? ...
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Unblinking

Re:

Post by Unblinking » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote: I never did like the end, and I still think it's cheesy. We've established that these creatures 1.) live on the bottom of the ocean and 2.) are colossally huge. Therefore the idea of the narrator's being followed around by them or their emissaries seems illogical. How could they follow him and, if they could, why? This lapse of logic is underscored by the last line, in which the narrator sits at his typewriter and writes out that he is going to jump out the window because something nasty is breaking into his room. I don't think anybody would sit at a typewriter writing about their intention of jumping out a window to escape from a monster. I think they'd just jump.
Ha, your point about sitting at the typewriter and telling of his intent to jump out of a window to escape the monster reminded me of a scene in the movie "The Jerk". Steve Martin's character is writing a letter to his mother (as he often does in the movie), and he does something similar, signing off with something like "I need to go now because someone strange is lurking outside of my window."

Anyway, regarding this story: It was okay. Like Mr. Tweedy I never really felt like these creatures were any real danger to a land-dweller. I like some of HPL's stories, but so far nothing's topped his "The Music of Erich Zann".

TheBigBadG

Re: Drabblecast 126 - Dagon

Post by TheBigBadG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Hewlett Packard Lovecraft, hur hur hur...

Fans of the bardle may also want to check out Living in Sin by The Broken Family Band, a sadly now-defunt alt-Americana-country act from Cambridge. England. None of this Massachoo-choo zip. They also wrote the mighty Twelve Eyes of Evil. You were talking about moles after all...

TheBigBadG

Re:

Post by TheBigBadG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

alhilton wrote:
strawman wrote:Demon to be mated with.
It occurs to me that this _really_ should be a forum rank! :D
Y. E. S.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Wait, so this THIS is where "Heartache over Innsmouth" came from? The first Lovecraft Month Week? And TOM SPONSORED IT?

As if I needed another reason to love Tom. Or Norm, for that matter.

Way to go. Hope that haunted funeral parlor/office is stayin' strange these days.

I hit this episode with fortuitous timing, just as the most recent Lovecraft Month finished up. :D
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:48 pm

I have a new employee who is afraid to go upstairs.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am

Tom, I would love to know what you do for new employee orientation at your company:

"Here's your new hire packet. Please fill out the W-4, direct deposit, and this psychological profile for the seance this afternoon. I know we make laser tag guns, but we also have a thriving market selling the darn things to paranormal exterminators, thanks to our in-house experiments that began unintentionally a few years ago when an unruly presence arose from the urns in the closet and began giving out 'ghost handjobs', whatever that means. Wait, where are you going? We haven't even discussed the annual company picnic yet! We're serving raw hamburger topped with raw egg and discussing 'The Worm Within'!"
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:00 am

That sounds pretty good! I'll have to adopt it. Right now it's more of "Hire on and get to shoot your boss!"
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.