Drabblecast 324 – The Ball Room

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 324 – The Ball Room

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 am

Feature: The Ball Room by China Miéville
Drabble: The Habitroll by Eric Marsh
Genres: Horror

Thursday, May 15th, 2014
I’m not employed by the store. They don’t pay my wages. I’m with a security firm, but we’ve had a contract here for a long time, and I’ve been here for most of it. This is where I know people. I’ve been a guard in other places—still am, occasionally, on short notice—and until recently I would have said this was the best place I’d been. It’s nice to work somewhere people are happy to go. Until recently, if anyone asked me what I did for a living, I’d just tell them I worked for the store.

It’s on the outskirts of town, a huge metal warehouse. Full of a hundred little fake rooms, with a single path running through them, and all the furniture we sell made up and laid out so you can see how it should look. Then the same products, disassembled, packed flat and stacked high in the warehouse for people to buy. They’re cheap.

Episode Art: Greg Cravens
Read by: Graeme Dunlop
First appeared in Looking for Jake, 2005

Twabble: “ "G-g-g-ghost!" yelled Steve, ashamed about his stutter. "St-St-St-Steve!" yelled the ghost. It was mean-spirited. ” by Jarod K. Anderson

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Re: Drabblecast 324 – The Ball Room

Post by mightytwix » Sun May 18, 2014 5:25 pm

This story really hit me. Not only was it well done, but I had a ball room incident when I was young. I dont remember the place, I think it was a Chuck'e Cheese knockoff. I entered the ball pit that was really deep, and got sucked in. I lost all sense of orientation. I remember trying to dig for the top, moving balls out of the way when I hit a wall, which was the floor. I tried again to dig but no matter how much I tried to move I could get purchase. I remember screaming and thrashing, and then just crying. Then the worst thing imaginable happened, something grabbed me.

It was the ball pit watcher pulling me out. I remember being in hysterics and my mother trying to calm me down. Some pizza, pepsi, and a handful of tickets cured that. I have never entered a ball pit again.

Hats off to the 100 character winner, really liked that one.
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

Benbi

Post by Benbi » Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 pm

I made the mistake of listening to this story, in the dark, with my three year old daughter asleep beside me. Afterward, I had to go back and listen to an older, happier episode of the drabblecast to cheer myself up.

For some reason the music during the scary bits really got me this time. Nice work everyone.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Benbi wrote:...I had to go back and listen to an older, happier episode of the drabblecast to cheer myself up.
Uppers, downers, mind-blowing-sh*t... We got what ya need!
First hit's free. :twisted:

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Thu May 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Benbi wrote:...Afterward, I had to go back and listen to an older, happier episode of the drabblecast to cheer myself up.
Wait, what? The Drabblecast has Happy Episodes??
Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice.

Benbi

Post by Benbi » Fri May 23, 2014 12:48 am

Wait, what? The Drabblecast has Happy Episodes??[/quote]

Ha! No, of course not. I said "happier".

Benbi

Post by Benbi » Fri May 23, 2014 12:55 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Uppers, downers, mind-blowing-sh*t... We got what ya need!
First hit's free. :twisted:
Tune in, freak out, get beaten.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Nicely done! This was an excellent piece of horror.
Why is it that kids are so frightening? You see this a lot in Doctor Who; taking of simple children's rhymes or activities and turning them into pure horror.
Drabble and Twabble were perfect.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Dolohov

Post by Dolohov » Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Children are creepy, man. One minute they'll be smiling and playing, then they'll stop and look at you and say "Will you be dead soon?" and then they're off shrieking and laughing again.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Between this and the Goat Cutter story it feels like the ominous shadow of Mr. Lovecraft is sneaking up on us early this year. Was it just a coincidence that the Drabble was about the same subject? I especially enjoyed hearing an English guy do a German accent.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Dolohov wrote:Children are creepy, man. One minute they'll be smiling and playing, then they'll stop and look at you and say "Will you be dead soon?" and then they're off shrieking and laughing again.
This is because they haven't yet forgotten that the other world wasn't a bad place. They just figure dead people go where they recently came from. Sure, that last/first breath was a shock, but otherwise, familiar surroundings.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"