Drabblecast 184, 185 - Horror World 2025

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Drabblecast 184, 185 - Horror World 2025

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

It started in the cemetery, like these things usually do. Everyone knows being in a cemetery after dark’s a bad idea, which is exactly why Kyle had begged his grandpa to take him...

Kevin D. Anderson
Night of the Living Trekkies Trailer
D. K. Thompson
Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Morgan Olson as Grandpa
Tom Baker as Ben
Michelle Ristuccia as Selena
Marshal Latham as Arnold
Eric J. Blommel as Kirkman
J. E. McNeil as The Cowboy

Art by Skeet Scienski
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

themorg

Re: Drabblecast 184- Horror World 2025

Post by themorg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:24 pm

i loved that norm took out every stop with the horror references. Any less, in my opinion, would have been ...i could not think of a good horror reference because norm used them all.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Doctor, you and I still have some unfinished business.

Well that was a fun one to do. Whilst I cringe when I hear how bad of a job I did on that "accent", it was fun to hear everybody from the boards. I still don't think Morgan sounds at all like he looks. :-)

It's GREAT to have Mr. Anderson back for halloween. It's just not the same without him. D. K. Thompson is a great halloween buddy, it seems.

Norm always goes over the top on Halloween and Xmas episodes, and I'm glad for it.

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:07 am

Here is the most current picture i have up.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
i have lost 90 lbs from this one and my beard has been hacked and regrown for upcoming beard competition. By june of 2011 it will finally be up to what i need to even compete with local beards let alone national competitions.
As to my voice i used to work in radio so none of it is my natural voice i put it on the way some people put on shoes or t-shirts. Also the Tuvan throat singing has really given me a lot of variety and control that most people do not have.

i must say that i liked everyone in the episode a lot and the full cast really made it a lot of fun to listen. I also like the way you read mr. baker and i imagine you live in a monastic order somewhere in the Catskill Mountains.
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

swamp

Post by swamp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 am

What fun! Norm did a fantastic job (as usual) putting all of that together. It was great to be a part of it! Screaming can be quite theraputic.

Production aside, I think the story was great, too. I'd be interested to know how Kevin and Dave divided the work and how they collaborated on the plot. It is a great homage to things we love in movies, comics, etc. I really loved having the villan from Westworld becoming the hero in this sequel, playing on that other franchise with androids. And the whole "everything that went wrong before could never happen again--uh oh" was great as well. Almost a parady of sequels, only it was so well written, it becomes more than that. Good stuff.

And EJBman, you can be my boss anytime. Great accent! I'm sorry you died, but I can't greive right now; I've got my own issues with a facehugger at the moment.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:48 am

Actually Morgan, that picture makes a lot more sense. Swamp, those facehugger scars are great for picking up chicks.

I agree Eric took the cake with the kind but incredibly arrogant scientist.

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm just going to throw it out there...Selene is an android replica of Naomie Harris's character from 28 Days Later.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Quite fun! I like the horror trope mashup set up by the Horror World premise. It sort of reminded me of Marvel's Arcade character who'd trap superheroes in theme parks populated by killer androids in disguise, leave them one possible way out and see if they made it ( they always did, of course). It's good to see DKT's work here, and with Kevin Not-J Anderson. I, too, wonder how the collaboration worked out in separation of labor. Either way it's turned out well for part 1.

Why the 2025 in the title?

The one thing that bothered me was a major setting mislead near the beginning. In the opening paragraphs, we're told that the boy talked his grandfather into going to the cemetery, then the zombies show up and it's quite a while later, when we jump to the control room, that we find out that it's an amusement park. Which made me think that they'd been somehow tricked into entering the amusement park when they really were looking for a real life cemetery. Then we find out that they chose to go to the amusement park, rather than choosing to go to the cemetery as the beginning said. We were following the POV of the boy and his Grampa, and if they knew they were in an amusement park, I should've too. That threw me right out of the story for a time.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

And I forgot to mention the full cast production! It was a lot of fun hearing forumites read it, and I love the audio drama ensemble as a change of pace from single readers. Fun!!!

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Unblinking wrote:The one thing that bothered me was a major setting mislead near the beginning. In the opening paragraphs, we're told that the boy talked his grandfather into going to the cemetery, then the zombies show up and it's quite a while later, when we jump to the control room, that we find out that it's an amusement park. Which made me think that they'd been somehow tricked into entering the amusement park when they really were looking for a real life cemetery.
That didn't bother me at all, I think the makers of the game put so much realism into it that it might have been a real cemetery, or so close to one as to not know the difference. The zombies were there pretty much immediately and it was obvious to me that it was an intentional trip to hunt zombies. The way Ben and Selene were described on their entrance sounded like a movie entrance, and Kyle was immediately contrasted as a regular joe, so I wasn't surprised at all to find that Kyle had asked to participate in some sort of event.
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Norm, we salute you.
Especially at this time of breast awareness.

eggyolk

Post by eggyolk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:03 am

Titillating intro.

The main story. Ka-booooom!
(it was the bomb)
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:50 am

Darn, I missed a chance to audition. Stupid real life. I knew it was a bad idea to have one.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 pm

It is a common misconception that Santa Claus was gang-raped and murdered by Mexican criminals, and, as with many misconceptions, thoroughly and contemptibly untrue. The real reason for the Santa/Phantom transition was far more prosaic - a brain tumour. The Mexican Gang story was concocted by his relatives, for 50 years ago cancer was still regarded as a stigma. What a blessing we live in more enlightened times!
Norms´ suggestion that we scream "CANCER" at kids strikes me as a very good one, but why limit it to Hallowe´en? surely this topic is too important to be limited to a brief season - I think we should all take it up as a regular practice - it might also be a good idea to procure, for example, a healthy and a tumourous liver, and keep them in plastic shopping bags. On the bus, or train one could show them to children and explain in detail the difference between the normal and the cancer-ridden organs. Most children would doubtless find this entertaining and informative. I personally consider Breast Cancer Awareness Month to be a hype on the part of the pharmaceutical industry, just a way to make a quick buck (it is also sexist, but I believe in ignoring political issues). Whatever happened to Scrofula awareness month? I once wrote to Outspan suggesting they jump on the bandwagon and sponsor a Scurvy Awareness Month (thats got to be a moneyspinner), but they didn´t even favour me with a reply. That´s the trouble with the modern world, if you can´t write a couple of letters after your name nobody will take you seriously. That is why I so value the grass-roots quality of the Drabblecast so much, simple down-to-earth stories made by simple folk for simple people.
Respectfully,
The Polecat

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 pm

There are a lot of complaints about the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff going on in the activism community. The primary complaints are that little of the money being donated through the pink ribbon methods actually goes to research, the campaigns are often sexist (the objectification that goes on), and that men get breast cancer too but the campaign perpetuates the idea that it is a "woman's disease."

I enjoy the Save The Ta-Tas stickers as much as the next twelve year old straight boy or gay girl, but the stickers are possibly doing more harm than good.

I won't tell anyone where to spend their money, but when it comes to activism spending, cautious investigation can never go wrong. Speaking of which ... is the US media still ignoring the disaster in Pakistan? :lol:

EDIT: All that to say that Norm's intro rocked. :D
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm

dreamrock wrote:There are a lot of complaints about the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff going on in the activism community.
Oh dear, and I thought I was making a cheap joke - you see, we don´t have breast cancer awareness month here in Germany
dreamrock wrote:EDIT: All that to say that Norm's intro rocked. :D
That was the point I was trying to make

Respectfully

The Polecat

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm

jannypie wrote: That didn't bother me at all, I think the makers of the game put so much realism into it that it might have been a real cemetery, or so close to one as to not know the difference. The zombies were there pretty much immediately and it was obvious to me that it was an intentional trip to hunt zombies. The way Ben and Selene were described on their entrance sounded like a movie entrance, and Kyle was immediately contrasted as a regular joe, so I wasn't surprised at all to find that Kyle had asked to participate in some sort of event.
It makes sense for the park's cemetery to be very realistic, and I was fine with them going there intentionally to hunt zombies.

What bugged me is that if the characters all KNOW that it is an amusement park and not a cemetery then I should also know. Holding that information back just felt like the story was trying to do a clever misdirection, but which only served to create a very jarring "wait, what? Since when were they in an amusement park?" moment, which ended my immersion for a while as I tried to figure it out. I like to sink into the characters' heads, but when the narration intentionally misleads my picture of the setting away from what the characters are seeing, it destroys that immersion for me.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Polecat wrote:
dreamrock wrote:There are a lot of complaints about the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff going on in the activism community.
Oh dear, and I thought I was making a cheap joke - you see, we don´t have breast cancer awareness month here in Germany
Even here in the U.S., you have to be extra especially plugged in to have noticed the complaints. The din of the mainstream support for the pink ribbon movement is rather hard to get a word in edgewise around. I don't make a big deal of it on the DC forums, but I spend a considerable amount of my free time involved in activism for a band of political movements which do not begin with R, D, L, C, or S. :lol: Sorry for the evasion. I don't mind stating what my beliefs are, but arguments stress me out. Anyone who is curious is free to ask in private so long as they promise not to chew me out or pick a fight. :mrgreen:
Polecat wrote:
dreamrock wrote:EDIT: All that to say that Norm's intro rocked. :D
That was the point I was trying to make

Respectfully

The Polecat
Yeah, I didn't suspect otherwise. :D

Unblinking wrote:It makes sense for the park's cemetery to be very realistic, and I was fine with them going there intentionally to hunt zombies.

What bugged me is that if the characters all KNOW that it is an amusement park and not a cemetery then I should also know. Holding that information back just felt like the story was trying to do a clever misdirection, but which only served to create a very jarring "wait, what? Since when were they in an amusement park?" moment, which ended my immersion for a while as I tried to figure it out. I like to sink into the characters' heads, but when the narration intentionally misleads my picture of the setting away from what the characters are seeing, it destroys that immersion for me.
I was ok with that. It felt like a Buffy open to me. They let us in on the secret pretty early on so it felt like an icebreaker. In a good way and not in that awkward-first-date-with-an-event-coordinator way.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

themorg

Post by themorg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Polecat wrote:Oh dear, and I thought I was making a cheap joke - you see, we don´t have breast cancer awareness month here in Germany
can i try a cheap joke? So does that mean Germans don't care about breasts as much as the rest of the world? Please remember that was a joke.

dreamrock wrote:i spend a considerable amount of my free time involved in activism for a band of political movements
Last week i protested for the second time ever. It was an employer that hired on the bias of no bearded men. and a bunch (20 or so) of bearded men went and stood very quietly outside the establishment for an half hour. Sadly i think we need new tactics because people thought we were a flash mob next time we will have a sign.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Finally noticed this thread. Thanks for the kudos folks! I personally felt my performance was kind of weak, so it means a lot to get compliments. :oops:

I have a particular fondness for Tom's and Marshall's voices, which are just plain... the audio equivalent of 'photogenic'. Everybody did great though.

Having said all that, I tried to model my voice after the character of Angleton in the audio productions of Charles Stross's Laundry series. I'd be curious if anyone else has heard those.

Morg, love your beard!

Since I haven't heard anyone else say it: Norm's Halloween puns are completely spook-tacular! (I also like Spider Robinson novels.)
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.