Drabblecast 184, 185 - Horror World 2025

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Etaan

Re: Drabblecast 185- Horror World 2025: Part II

Post by Etaan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Unblinking wrote:To add one movie/book reference that Richmazzer missed, I'd like to point out Blaine the monorail's cameo from Stephen King's Dark Tower series. That can't have been a coincidence in naming. I was waiting for the train to come alive and start asking them riddles.
And here I was waiting for everyone to break out in song and dance a la The Music Man.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 am

I agree with what was said here- story was super awesome. Prolly my love for Westworld. I love that it was done Dribble-style. However, I do agree the ending kind of faded out instead of being as awesome as the brainmeats of the story.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Just wanted to drop in and tell the writers and Norm that this was a solid job. Initially the story felt a little confusing, but as it continued building I really started enjoying it. FYI, if this place existed in real life and was non-deadly to its customers, I would be first in line for a crack at the alien nest. By and far my favorite angle was the re-imagining of the Westworld cowboy as a hero figure. He just oozed cool. My only comment might be the sheer number of characters sometimes overwhelmed me.

Norm, the soundtrack usage was like strolling down memory lane. Holy crap, they used to make really great soundtracks for movies. These days, we're lucky to get anything that doesn't sound like the unholy spawn of a synthesizer and a first-year music major.

Good job, all.
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Absolutely brilliant! I didn't get that Selena was cat woman... wasn't Selena described as African-American, or was that Ben?

I also think the monorail should have talked. After all, talking monorails sure put North Haverbrook on the map.

Superb work guys - Kevin, Dave, Norm, and forum activists alike. I submit my vote for this to be a regular, for at least one holiday each year. We could call it 'The Drabblecast Holiday Special".

DKT

Post by DKT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Selena was actually British, and as Schreiber caught in the Part 1 thread was a shout-out to Naomie Harris's character in 28 Days Later. There was originally some "is she an android?" stuff happening there that we really liked, but the story was well over it's word limit at that point and it had to be cut. (Alas.)

Hadn't thought about Selena Kyle. And now I can't believe that I hadn't.

Glad a couple of you caught the Blaine/Dark Tower easter egg!

ZuSquared

Post by ZuSquared » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 am

I really liked this story. It was packed with references, like a Snickers is packed with peanuts... and that weird nougatty stuff, and happily it was just as satisfying.

And much less likely to give a person anaphylactic shock.

(On a personal note, I feel like it wouldn't exactly kill them to pack a few more peanuts into a Snickers, and has anyone notice that the peanuts seem so much smaller these days. It's kinda depressing.)

Anyway, the whole production was lavish and awesome and all kinds of lovely. Hats go off to all involved in this very entertaining piece of work.

PS I was kinda wondering about the 'heavy British accent', because it wasn't really that heavy or even that British. But I really liked the reading for Selena, so I adjusted for it in my head and had her character as an American who had been in Britain for a couple of years, probably attending the same finishing school as Lady Di or something.

But generally it was all excellent marvellousness and a lovely Halloween treat.

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 am

ZuSquared wrote:PS I was kinda wondering about the 'heavy British accent', because it wasn't really that heavy or even that British. But I really liked the reading for Selena, so I adjusted for it in my head and had her character as an American who had been in Britain for a couple of years, probably attending the same finishing school as Lady Di or something.
agreed
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 am

themorg wrote:
ZuSquared wrote:PS I was kinda wondering about the 'heavy British accent', because it wasn't really that heavy or even that British. But I really liked the reading for Selena, so I adjusted for it in my head and had her character as an American who had been in Britain for a couple of years, probably attending the same finishing school as Lady Di or something.
agreed
Ah, one of those "mid-Atlantic" accents, then.

Choice!

mrsmica

Re: Drabblecast 184- Horror World 2025

Post by mrsmica » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:13 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Yes, we all think our own voices suck.
I think the only actor we haven't heard from is Selena?
Sorry about that!
I was in another state for a funeral. Dreamrock let me record at his place, and you should have seen us scramble to get my part for the second half the night before I left! You also shoulda seen my face when I realized that my character had a British accent! Bwahahaha. My first thought was "Wow, Norm has a lot of faith in me." It's really hard to lose the southern accent on "flyboy" I'll tell you what.

Re: Hearing our own voices....
I think its so true that our own voices sound different to us in an audio production like this. I had a strange experience recently where I heard a long-time friend of mine voicing a British accent and I didn't even recognize her voice. The second listen I was able to say, ok, yeah, that's her. You see, my brain knows that my friend doesn't have a British accent, so my ears and brain couldn't agree. The same thing happens when I hear my own voice, because I know I'm not Selena (or British). Knowing that totally decimates all the mystique, all the set-up, all the suspension of disbelief that otherwise lets me hear the voice as the character.

Ok, enough psuedo-philosophical rambling from me. :) I enjoyed the story and the production and it was interesting to read here about how the collaboration went down.

mrsmica

Post by mrsmica » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah I'm not only a US girl, I've lived in the southern US since Kindergarten. :lol: I tried, though

ZuSquared

Post by ZuSquared » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I liked your reading. The accent wasn't overly forced and sounded natural.

Plus it allowed me to imagine some futuristic London Ladies College and extra curricular activities like zombie slaying and light sabre:101.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm

ZuSquared wrote:...I really liked the reading for Selena, so I adjusted for it in my head and had her character as an American who had been in Britain for a couple of years, probably attending the same finishing school as Lady Di or something.
Or Madonna.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Etaan wrote:
ZuSquared wrote:...I really liked the reading for Selena, so I adjusted for it in my head and had her character as an American who had been in Britain for a couple of years, probably attending the same finishing school as Lady Di or something.
Or Madonna.
Hmmm... Madonna. In a roundabout way that make me think we could have had some fembots too. :-D

mrsmica

Post by mrsmica » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 am

ZuSquared wrote:I liked your reading. The accent wasn't overly forced and sounded natural.

Plus it allowed me to imagine some futuristic London Ladies College and extra curricular activities like zombie slaying and light sabre:101.
Thank you :)
I would so teach me some zombie slaying classes. Head shots ftw!

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Good job to everyone involved on this. It was a lot of fun to listen to and I can only imagine how much work it was for Norm with all the music, effects, editing and such. Definitely got me off my tail to donate! The only downer is that now I have to wait a whole other year for Cryptkeeper Norm's hilarious punny intros. At least Kendall didn't pee on his floor this year. And if I ever get an opportunity to name a street for whatever reason I'm committed to naming it "Phantom Clause Lane" now.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

SGAcreative

Post by SGAcreative » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:49 am

Fabulous work, one and all. A little more variety in voice styles and character names would've made it a little easier to keep track of the characters, but it was a fantastic ride. It managed to be a crossover without being fan-fiction, which is an accomplishment in itself. And I appreciate the nod to Blaine the Mono. (Good to know i'm not the only one who got that reference.)

Time will tell whether "Here Comes Phantom Claws" will supplant "O, I AmThe Grither" as my all-time favorite demonic Christmas carol.

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:30 am

SGAcreative wrote:Fabulous work, one and all. A little more variety in voice styles and character names would've made it a little easier to keep track of the characters, but it was a fantastic ride. It managed to be a crossover without being fan-fiction, which is an accomplishment in itself. And I appreciate the nod to Blaine the Mono. (Good to know i'm not the only one who got that reference.)

Time will tell whether "Here Comes Phantom Claws" will supplant "O, I AmThe Grither" as my all-time favorite demonic Christmas carol.
Firstly welcome to the forum SGAcreative glad you are here.

Secondly is there Westworld fan-fiction out there.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:54 am

For those wanting, I've clipped out Phantom Clause for downloading.
http://www.gardenstreet.org/drabblecast ... index.html
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.