House of Leaves

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ms. spliceandice

Re: House of Leaves

Post by ms. spliceandice » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 am

Saturated in silence.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm at 286-296.
Discussion about addiction to darkness and search for meaning has gotten my juices flowing. I realize that darkness and cold is the description of space, defining the boundaries of life itself.

The stairwell, the walls and doors represent the boundaries between life and lifelessness. Where life is, there is meaning. Outside the corridors of the house is a world of interpretation, from writing words into skin to conferences on the meaning of the Navidson Record. Of life and death.

Some are drawn by the smallest paradox; some ignore it. And that too is full of meaning. But that house is a power greater than Navidson. Greater than Zampano. Greater than Johnny. Greater than Holloway, or the Police Chief, or you.

As Navidson tells Karen in his final letter, the house is God. Then he goes into the confessional about getting his Pulitzer award for a picture of a starving 5 year old girl surrounded by vultures. His photograph, capturing and turning into light and darkness the exposure of a final moment of an expiring human life, staying on the other side of the camera and being acclaimed and rewarded for doing so. A photographer is, after all, one who writes with light!

This book is a heavy investment of time and thought.
But if paradox and meaning are what you're hungry for, you will be satisfied here.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:00 pm

strawman wrote:His photograph, capturing and turning into light and darkness the exposure of a final moment of an expiring human life, staying on the other side of the camera and being acclaimed and rewarded for doing so.
I know how he feels.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote: I know how he feels.
ROU, what's neat to me is, I think everyone who is captured by the paradox knows how he feels.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm

strawman wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: I know how he feels.
ROU, what's neat to me is, I think everyone who is captured by the paradox knows how he feels.
Yes, confronting all of the old paradoxes is part of the human condition, I'd agree. Some seem more captivated more by them than others. Your average drabblecast listener, for instance, when compared against your average Nascar viewer. (Although I am sure that the Venn diagram would show that there are, in fact, drabblecast listeners that are also Nascar fans.)

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Checked out Danielewski on Wikipedia, and found more interesting stuff. There is something of collaboration with his sister, the singer/songwriter POE. Also what looks like very Drabblecasty works, (although too long for us. He doesn't appear to have short stories.)

But if you have a minute, it's def worth the explore:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Z._Danielewski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Revolutions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whalestoe_Letters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifty_Year_Sword
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrygAv93 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvkc2yd1 ... re=related

The 50 Year Sword sounds particularly DC. It was produced on stage.

Spoiler:

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm

415... Suddenly we find ourselves 300 years down the road in the starving Jamestown Colony, a time when s had two forms, long and short. Johnny, the narrator, no sooner notes this than he starts to write with long and short s's, so that suck looks like fuck, but also you actually pick up a sense of a time/culture shift. But Johnny is wasting away to nothing as the story devolves around a discovered 17th century scrap of a jourrnal of 3 Jamestown men who go out hunting, get caught in a storm, waste away to nothing, and die. The last journal entry: "Ftairs! We have found ftairs!"

The implication being, of course, that the stairwell in the house on Ash Tree Lane is connected to the geographics of the hunters in pre-colonial Virginia.

I have never been to Spain. But reading this book has been similar to the experience of travelling to an unfamiliar place, like a trip to Spain. DC is similar, in a way that takes less time and effort to get to. But I think anyone who likes the road that DC travels will feel at home in Fpain...er, I mean, Houfe of Leaves

Spoiler:

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Teaser: P 543

Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep, it is not because you need to sleep. But when at last it is over there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:45 pm

strawman wrote:Teaser: P 543

Who has never killed an hour?
ROU looks sheepish... ;-)

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
strawman wrote:Teaser: P 543

Who has never killed an hour?
ROU looks sheepish... ;-)
Yeah, me too, yer'honor.
But I mean it as an illustration of the music/poetry of Danielewski's prose. I love DC's compact weird focus, but lest we all develop ADHD, it's good to occasionally go swim in the ocean.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Just a slight irony at being asked if I've ever been guilty of killing time.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:59 pm

p.563

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 pm

After your suggestion, when i was looking into the novel that quote caught my eye.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Listening to the radio on my way back home tonight I realised that I was listening to scenes where people were talking about finding new rooms, corridors and spaces.
It seemed more than a little familiar.......

"Recordings Recovered from the House of Leaves"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01694p2

I'm glad I caught it as sadly it doesn't even appear to be listen-again-able for us good honest UK folk. :(
Or possibly that is a good thing since a 'straight' story telling of the original book and all it's page-based tricks and so on is possibly some sort of audio heresy.

(The radio version was good as a 'spooky' story about a strange house with extra spaces and corridors bug but I doubt anyone listening to it would get the full-on effect that reading the book appears to give.)
"What are bones?"

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 am

Thanks for the link. Characters don't sound like I imagined, especially Karen, who is supposed to be sexy, and Navy, who doesn't sound particularly adventurous.
I think you're right that it's somewhat dependent on the printed page to be effective. But the book is about a film, after all. Maybe it just needs the Norm Sherman treatment.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:32 am

[strikeout]The king's heart breaks, and while he will go on to be an extremely just ruler, it is a justice forever informed by the deepest kind of agony.[/strikeout]

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 am

More and more often, I've been overcome by the strangest feeling that I've gotten it all turned around, by which I mean to say--to state the not-so-obvious--without it I would perish. A moment comes where suddenly everything seems impossibly far and confused, my sense of self derealized & depersonalized, the disorientation so severe I actually believe--and let me tell you it is an intensely strange instance of belief--that this terrible sense of relatedeness to Zampano's work implies something that just can't be, namely that this thing has created me; not me unto it, but now it unto me, where I am nothing more than the matter of some other voice, intruding through the folds of what even now lies there agape, possessing me with histories I should never recognize as my own; inventing me, defining me, directing me until finally every association I can claim as my own--from Raymond to Thumper, Kyrie to Ashley, all the women, even the Shop and my studio and everything else--is relegated to nothing; forcing me to face the most terrible suspicion of all, that all of this has just been made up and what's worse, not made up by me or even for that matter Zampano.
Though by whom I have no idea.
pg 326
As a practitioner of the fine art of the run-on sentence, I can indeed see why you are in awe of this guy, Strawman.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Indeed, there is no finer example of a post-modern, dystopian Genesis 1:1.

Imagine that a God had created the universe as a class project. Wanting to ensure that his creation never came after him with a paternity suit, He plants a host of misleading clues across His tracks, including the tendency for his only self-aware creature to lose track of whether he is an author or a main character, whether his conscious thoughts are the text or the footnotes.

Those who observe the process either shy away or are obsessed and consumed... or they study and observe and analyse, (another way of keeping their distance while dealing with the strange attraction).

I would say that the endless stairwell is a strand of human DNA. But that would be to engage in the critical guessing game. Others may tell you that you have correctly discerned the meaning, but how can you know for certain? Others don't know. Danielewski doesn't know. So instead he has you sit down to "read a book", and then has you turning the book upside down and sideways, and turning pages forward and back. He has you exploring the house, climbing the stairs of the paradox, wondering what it means.

After all, why shouldn't God make things interesting?

Spoiler: