Drabblecast Director's Cut: Things We Made

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Drabblecast Director's Cut: Things We Made

Post by normsherman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 am

“My Kids Think I’m Nuts”

Norm and Drabblecast Audio Producer Adam Pracht talk about the Maker’s Movement, everything wrong with Gloucester, the finer points of audio production and of course the three stories in this classic Trifecta Special themed around “Things We Made.”
"Give us all some Jelly"

ExecuDork

Re: Drabblecast Director's Cut: Things We Made

Post by ExecuDork » Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 am

I really enjoyed this whole episode. The trifecta stories were very good, the voice-acting and background music and effects were excellent and I loved hearing about how those decisions were made and the whole this-is-how-we-make-the-sausages aspect of it. I'm looking forward to more like this!

Just a couple of small things that popped into my head while I was listening to this. Not criticisms per se, just some things that pulled me out of it a little.
- In the third story, Popups, Norm repeatedly refers to a train, but the narrator catches a bus. I have a rant brewing about talking about (and making decisions about) public transit but this doesn't seem like the place. Anyways, it was a little jarring and I might have startled a dog-walker this morning by saying a bit too loud "It's a bus! A bus!"
- Also in Popups, I found it jarring to hear the narrator's British accent say "three hundred dollars". Where in the world is this story taking place? Where does a mid-20's working schlub with a UK accent get on a bus and talk to a (cyber-illusion) older woman, also with a UK accent, but talk about dollars? I'm currently in Australia, which is a country that calls its money dollars and has a large number of British-born people, so I decided this story was set in Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane (or maybe Perth, but lets not get *too* sci-fi and outlandish). That's fine, but it took enough time for me to puzzle through the accent / currency mismatch that I came out of the story for a few seconds.
- The irony of Adam's at-times poor audio quality on the track as Adam and Norm discussed the finer points of audio arrangement artistry was mildly amusing. This did not take me out of the story, but I did find it funny.

Sorry for the snark, to repeat myself I really enjoyed this and I hope to hear more behind-the-scenes kinds of things soon. And thank you to Adam for calling out Norm's very different "normal" voice. His explanation - imposing an accent or different voice forces him to slow down and speak more precisely. Very cool!

acpracht

Re: Drabblecast Director's Cut: Things We Made

Post by acpracht » Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 am

Hey, ExecuDork!

Thanks for the comments, and no worries - I didn't take any of it as snark.

Two quick responses, though:

Also in Popups, I found it jarring to hear the narrator's British accent say "three hundred dollars".

You caught me... When producing it, I missed the "$300" as a place indicator until after I'd already asked Nick Camm to do it. By the time I'd realized it, I already had his narration back, and it was just so damn good, I went with it and hoped that I could just whistle my way by it and hope that nobody noticed.

So much for that. Oh, wells. :P

The irony of Adam's at-times poor audio quality on the track as Adam and Norm discussed the finer points of audio arrangement artistry was mildly amusing.

Apologies for that. More of a result of my pisspoor internet and the crappiness of Skype audio quality in general that I'll blame for this. :P

-Adam