Drabbleclassics 30- Doubleheader featuring Mur Lafferty (150)

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 am

The Blueberry Pie by Mur Lafferty
The Last of the Pie Hunters by Mur Lafferty
She’d been hunting full-grown pies for four years now. The little hand-held fruit pies were for kids– the preservatives made them slow and stupid– but pies in the wild, they were the true treasure, they had formed the culture of her people…
Hosted by Fred Greenhalgh
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

acpracht

Re: Drabbleclassics 30- Doubleheader featuring Mur Lafferty (150)

Post by acpracht » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:43 am

Hehe. Fun.
<3 Mur.

-Adam

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am

I remember this one from years ago. Mur was sky rocketting in the pod sphere, and it seemed every story podcast I went to, she was there. These two stories really point out why for me. For such short pieces they have this ability to bring you into the weirdness, placing a bleek future where feral humans hunt for feral pies. I was driving as I re listened to this and had a big dumb grin on my face the whole time. Great choice for a drabbleclassic

Ichneumon

Post by Ichneumon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Short, weirddddd, brutal. Sweet!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am

mightytwix wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am
I remember this one from years ago. Mur was sky rocketting in the pod sphere, and it seemed every story podcast I went to, she was there. These two stories really point out why for me. For such short pieces they have this ability to bring you into the weirdness, placing a bleek future where feral humans hunt for feral pies. I was driving as I re listened to this and had a big dumb grin on my face the whole time. Great choice for a drabbleclassic
That's awesome that you remember that. It was definitely a crazy time in audio fiction online back then, that's for sure. Recency effect plays such a big part in terms of our thinking about podcasts and podcast consumption these days. Theses 2 stories ran literally a decade ago, and like you said, Mur was killing it and making a happy living by podcasting her fiction for free, along with Sigler and a bunch of other folks back then. Drabblecast had been purchasing and producing stories, cranking out over 100 episodes by then-- and Escapepod had done more than twice that many-- but it was authors like Mur, Scott and other taking advantage of the new opportunities through syndicated feeds and amazon that were really all over the place.

And I definitely agree that Mur's greatest strength (imo) has always been her ability to pack a punch in terms of weirdness. If you've read her books you know that she has a lot of other amazing strengths too-- I think her characters are always very gripping-- but I go back to flash fiction like this when I think about what I most appreciate in her writing.
This Doubleheader wasn't long before my taking over for her as Escapepod's Editor, and it really seemed like a seamless transition in terms of story picks, since we loved the same kind of thing.

Now my hosting style, that was a little less seamless, but that's a different story. ;)
"Give us all some Jelly"

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 pm

I am with you there Norm. I remember my introduction to the free serialized world with pobiobooks.com (just looked it up, no longer the name), and the huge wealth of content there. Its funny, a few weeks ago I remembered Scott (from Nocturnal), and looked him up. He is still cranking out the stories!!!

What I really remember is how all the content poeple participated so much in each others stories and podcasts. It was always great to hear familiar voices at the start of a story, or hear a plug for a new podcast from one of the cast.

I also cant believe how long I have been listening, and how long you have been at this!