The Drabble Writer

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
eric_marsh

The Drabble Writer

Post by eric_marsh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 am

I used to write drabbles.

They were unhappy things, a product of life in a place where there is always the fear of an unexpected and violent death.

When I was young we all feared annihilation in nuclear flames. As an adult, I know that just looking at another motorists could incite road rage and a fatal shooting.

Drabbles were a release for my existential angst.

Two years ago I retired and moved from the US to Spain.

Live is good here.

My muse has left me.

The sun is coming up. I think I'll go and get another beer.

----------------------------------

Comment:

It's good to see that the forum is coming back to life. The thought came to me that I should contribute some drabbles. But then I realized that I didn't really have anything to write about.

I did retire and move to Spain September of 2017. I find that life is good here and it occurred to me that not hearing the constant drum beat of impending doom from the corporate media leaves me with less of a need to find ways of destroying the universe in unique and clever ways.

No, I have not sank into the life of an alcoholic, though I see many retirees who have.

On the other hand, there is a certain element of existential angst in the idea of slowly rotting away in an idyllic setting.

It's just as insidious, but many people don't even notice it happening.

As a story idea it works for me.

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"